A welded inner cam bearing seat.

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
HARLEYMAN53
Bikes: Hydra-glide 1953. Built to a 1948 .

A welded inner cam bearing seat.

Post by HARLEYMAN53 »

This is a picture of the right side case of my Panhead engine. It´s be en welded successfully and tested. The tool i am displaying is a fixture that i designed together with a friend of mine who is a cnc operator. You bolt the fixture on the right side of the case just like the gear cover. Then i have a reamer that´s cut to the right size and gives me about 0.040 100/ mm play in the bearing. In inch i think it will be around 0,0015748
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: A welded inner cam bearing seat.

Post by 58flh »

53------Nice job---I think it will work,-but cover to center of both MUST be DEAD on!--Also welded in stages as not to distort-(little cooling). Good mock-up ,I would test abuse after everything is machined ,under a flh cam & sprigs for a stock set-up repair! Higher lifts & spring pressures will act differently on that surrounding area! NICE THING you guys got going :!: ---Richie--(def. keep us informed on the JIG!) as these repairs have been going on for years.--A GREAT JIG!--(is the key) 8)
HARLEYMAN53
Bikes: Hydra-glide 1953. Built to a 1948 .

Re: A welded inner cam bearing seat.

Post by HARLEYMAN53 »

58flh wrote:53------Nice job---I think it will work,-but cover to center of both MUST be DEAD on!--Also welded in stages as not to distort-(little cooling). Good mock-up ,I would test abuse after everything is machined ,under a flh cam & sprigs for a stock set-up repair! Higher lifts & spring pressures will act differently on that surrounding area! NICE THING you guys got going :!: ---Richie--(def. keep us informed on the JIG!) as these repairs have been going on for years.--A GREAT JIG!--(is the key) 8)
Thanks Man!
It does work very well.
I had to be very careful when i line ream the cam cover only! Cu´s then i put the reamer in a vice and put the case over the reamer and turn the case with the cam cover fixed on the case! But it did the job well.

//HM

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”