cracks at cam bushing

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
jiw1998
Inactive member
Bikes: 56FLH

cracks at cam bushing

Post by jiw1998 »

heard from shop today case is cracked around cam bushing. I was told it is unrepairable because welding next to the steel race would not work. Is it possible to remove the race for welding then reinstall? Read on here about a sleeve maybe????? Anyone have any success with this. Any pictures or any information would greatly be appreciated. I've been working on this bike for two years. Hate to have to junk it!
Hubbard
Bikes: 54 FLE, 49FL ,27JD,74FX all customs

Re: cracks at cam bushing

Post by Hubbard »

It's fixable but not easy. Rather common too. I fixed mine by going inside the case on the flywheel side and machining a flat surface and installing a steel plate to put the cam bushing in. I'm sure someone on here ( probably Cotton) close to you has fixed them before. Stay away from Departure Bike Works in Richmond Va. I had them fix it the first time and it was just a cobbled up mess that fell out. Looked like something a 3 yr. old did.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

jiw1998!

Forum member Underdoggie has two cracked right cases from my shop,
and has built a sturdy fixture to stabilize the case against warpage while welded from both sides.

He has also plotted the bore coordinates for machining after the weld repair.

It is true that it is difficult to weld close to the steel insert, so we are considering designing a separate insert to house the bushing for strength.

Many years ago, I used a threaded stainless plug for the bushing's housing, and the machine is still in service.

....Cotten
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

Hubbard wrote:It's fixable but not easy. Rather common too. I fixed mine by going inside the case on the flywheel side and machining a flat surface and installing a steel plate to put the cam bushing in. I'm sure someone on here ( probably Cotton) close to you has fixed them before. Stay away from Departure Bike Works in Richmond Va. I had them fix it the first time and it was just a cobbled up mess that fell out. Looked like something a 3 yr. old did.
the owner Lee is a hell of a good guy. sadly he does not do the work. i would never take anything to departure to have work done.
jiw1998
Inactive member
Bikes: 56FLH

Post by jiw1998 »

Thanks guys it is good to hear that it can be done. It about made me sick hearing the case was ruined. I know a tool and die machinist here locally that is also good with old bikes (not H-D), but maybe he may have encountered something similar. If not, Cotten you may have another one coming your way.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Fixable! My 48 was totaled when the previous owner tried to bore it out for the needle bearing and why over did it. Sent it to Carl Olson and came back perfect. Also Phil at KnuckleWorks in CA. Both are pros at this and are tooled up for it. Bob L
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Give this guy a call, he likes a challenge. http://www.advancedcyclemachining.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 1-800-844-3200. I've never used his service before. He's in Superior Wisconsin.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”