side cover r&r question

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
BCOWANWHEELS
Bikes: 1959 PAN CHOPPER

side cover r&r question

Post by BCOWANWHEELS »

Guys its been 40 yrs since I removed a side cover off my old pan engine and I,d like someone to give me the how to on this again. know I remove all the nuts and it has 2 dowels so I have to gently pull it off evenly but I dont want my cam or anything else to come out as its in time and all. any thoughts ? i need to get it off to give it a real good cleanning. been in storage for 40+ yrs.
thanks
bob

p/s frame is a jammer, tank is a 3 gal sportster, all fully molded as it was back then . this is how I,am bring it back out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: side cover r&r question

Post by Bosheff »

You should be able to pull the cover without disturbing the cam, but if ya want make sure the cam stays in place, stick a screwdriver or other implement down through one of the lifter blocks against the front side of one of the cam lobes. Even if the cam pops out it about about nothin to retime everything and get yer marks all lined up proper like....bosheff
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: side cover r&r question

Post by Cotten »

Bob!

Bump it loose from inside the generator aperture with a wooden hammer handle or large dowel.
This will allow you to safely insert butterknives that will loosen the rear of the cover when the portion to the front is bumped back toward the motor. The butterknives can then be used all around the cover to pry it off evenly.

No doubt the nuts and studs will give you grief.
Most folks would toss those on a back shelf immediately.

....Cotten

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”