spun cam bearing

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
mbskeam
Bikes: *

spun cam bearing

Post by mbskeam »

PLEASE JUST KILL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Cam clearance a little tight? If you want you're motor built right, ship it to Stett. http://www.stettsironhorseranch.com/ He builds mine and he guarantees his motors. Not just guarantees, the word does not explain what his guarantees mean. HE GUARANTEES HIS MOTORS, not to do what your motor did in the pix. Or, maybe there is an MMI mechanic in your neighborhood with a full in-house machine shop. Or, send it to Accurate Engineering, they've completely rebuilt Pan heads for me, spigots, unleaded seats, etc., etc. Life is bitch enough. You have to have a reliable motor to further your creed. Sorry for your loss. It's like a death in the family.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello, the doubled posts are from me learning this comp. crap. I'll try to remove the other two. as for the cam clearance I checked this be fore I ran it (for my own piece of mind) I got .007 that is with oil and assy lube so dry it should have been .010. I think this might have been caused by me as the engine was not yet warm and only had been runing about 3 min . before some dip shit tryed to take me out. so what did I do well hit the gas WFO and as im moving out I heard a squeal. but it went away I thought it was my clutch, as it had been slipping before .so I rode it anthor 150 plus miles after this. I am geting the case fix now and when my engine builder gets back from sturgis its time for same new STD heads as mine are weeping oil from many diff places (cracks) these things are shot.
mbskeam
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Yeah cam clearance isn't it. There's so many things with those motors "Wisconsin clocks". Everything has to be assembled right. My '59 pinion shaft taper didn't match the flywheel taper. Shaft shook loose. That was the one and only bad Harley motor I've had since. Save those heads for Accurate later. They make spigots, D ring holes, everything....right. I like Linkerts so STD are not my bag. I'm sold on Tedd if he gets his on the market. I have a set of Knuckle heads from him that are duplicate and better (lower tins have a bulged nipple outlet on the bottom. just too sick of a re-pop. sick it's so right on). Look at a pix of it on this site. type in tedd knuckleheads. or knuckle heads. Check out the can bottom. Taiwan. Good as it ever was. Check out the braze on the tube/cup junction.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello, last monday i held in my hand a set of std panhead heads with panhead intake and ex. spigots not the shovel style .std makes the v-twin heads for them. I found this out and told the guy who is doing my engine work he then bought a set heads for him self but he said he would sell them to me so he ordered up another set wed. for him self
mbskeam
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

No way........Way? No way, Linkert intakes? Gimme' some scoop.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Mike is quite correct. I have new STD heads on my Pan. I requested heads that were as near to stock as possible and that is exactly what I got. My stock exhaust system and Linkert manifold bolted straight on. They are the O ring style inlet. I don't think STD do the plumber style. As soon as I saw these heads I suspected that STD were making heads for Tedds as they look exactly the same as the replica heads in the Tedds catalogue. They are a lot cheaper from STD. Mine were actually supplied through Nostalgia Cycle, $1350 with the valves already fitted. Good deal!
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Wow. I would like to see a pix. I'm not knocking them for it..but....look at the cylinder head. Are the sides of the heads sort of flat like an Evo? Look at an OE head. See how nice and rounded-like a cylinder the fin pattern is? I liked Lou Tractenburg alot. I asked him for years to make STD heads 0-ring intake. He always said the same thing, "There's no (unlimited supply of Linkert) carburetors." He worked hard on his Pan heads. Made hot rod Pan heads with better flow. "Worked better than OE because the vapor didn't have to turn a corner" But their not replica. He left his company to his employees. How dedicated is that? Maybe his employees are more retro than Lou. How about the profile of the heads? Flat-sided or rounded? Go ahead, tell me....I can handle it. I own an STD/Bendix motor. The Pan heads in V-Twins catalog look OE style 100%. So do the Knuckle heads. Type in "knuckle heads" on this site and check the work on that lower spring cover. You can build a "biker-life" around the WEATHER FORECAST from the detail in that lower spring cover you're looking at. Look at the braze-weld where the oil tube ties-in to the can. If the creators of that lower cover didn't STOP....until they made a perfect "stamp," that would create a freakin' nipple!!!! on the BOTTOM END of a deep-drawn (manifold-monster-problem to make) tin can.......do we even think for one second that those same folks aren't going to stop, until they cast a brass Linkert body? You'll see like it was, and a Chinaman will be the one to make it too. It's the last piece of the puzzle. The keystone of replication yet to be completed, if what you say about STD's replica heads are true. Plan on Linkert. Hail Linkert!
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

VT, if you have a V Twin catalogue, just take a look at their replica panheads, and that will be the heads I'm talking about.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Oh yeah! Look at the STD heads on page 1334 (VT 10-0087) flat on the spark plug side. Then look at the V-Twin heads on pg. 1335...look OE to me. Wonder if they're in stock yet?
mbskeam

STD HEADS

Post by mbskeam »

hello, look under panhead general ???
mbskeam
vintage twin this is for you
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Look where? No comprendo amigo?

Post by guest »

The forum
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Oh yeah....over at spot #1. This is spot #2. I get it now. I'll motor over to spot #1. Thanks.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”