Timing gear spacers

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Timing gear spacers

Post by StueyC »

Can someone tell me if the idler gear spacer and the circuit breaker gear spacer on a 60FL are the same length? After removing my timing cover I found the spacer fitted to the circuit breaker gear has been wearing against the gear and the the cover. The spacer on the idler gear is fine. I also noticed the shafts have circlip grooves but no clips fitted. My manual clearly shows cirlips for earlier models but not for mine. Should they be fitted and if they should be fitted then the groove is hidden by the spacer on the circuit breaker gear? There are no washers behind the breaker gear which might be spacing it too far out so I'm unsure why I might have the problem?

On another subject, I've been told a bit of scouring/damage in the breather borer shouldn't cause too much problem. Is this the case or should I definetely look for a oversize breather and hone the bore to suit?

Thanks in advance.
Stuey.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: Timing gear spacers

Post by steinauge »

Yes they are both the same length.The later ones are a larger OD than the early ones but the length is the same.I use the jesus clips in all my engines but then I am old and stubborn.They ARE the very devil to get out! If the breather gear bore isnt badly damaged I usually dont worry too much about it.Hard to tell without seeing it.Your "long" spacer may be and likely is caused by either an aftermarket shaft or spacer that are out of spec.The clips DO fit very close to the spacer.
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Thanks for the reply steinauge. I will order a new spacer and if too long I will machine it to get the same result as the idler spacer. The circlips only use must be to stop the gear and spacer floating from side to side. Not having the clips fitted doesn't seem to have harmed any faces on the idler gear so I think I'll put it back together the same way without the clips.
stroker93
Inactive member
Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Post by stroker93 »

My motor guy never put the snap rings on my shafts for the spacers,,,,I found the spacers to be same length ,but not able to put on rings as the groove on one shaft is to tight to spacer...The shafts are taiwan Tedds junk,,needed to be turned down before use..On the breather I,m runnin a S&S reed valve,,motor has alonger stroker and bigger bore,,plus one less thing to time..I,m runnin an open belt so no primary venting issues.
Dave
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Thanks for your input Dave. You say you have no venting issues with the S&S reed valve type breather? Does the breather still vent through the same place as standard i.e. into the primary? I'm interested as I'm also running a belt and plan somehow to route the vent to a place outside the primary case to stop oil contamination on the belt.

Stuey.
stroker93
Inactive member
Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Post by stroker93 »

I run an open belt as stated,,orignal breather blocked off ,had slug welded into bottom off cases and breathes like a shovel (could post pic)..motor is disassembled as we speak,,,long story...
Dave
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Pic's would be real helpful thanks Dave.

Stuey.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Stroker, I like long stories..Mike

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”