Factory cam specs/ cam suggestions.

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Factory cam specs/ cam suggestions.

Post by panwars »

Man, I can't believe that I can't find factory cam specs anywhere. I could swear I have seen them, just too tired to remember where. I need them for a 1961 FL. Lift and duration is what I am after. I am just curious how different they are from the aftermarket cams.

I have stroked this 61 FL 4 1/2", stock bore= 84", S&S wheels, rods and pistons. Supposed to be around 8:1 to 8:25 compression. STD heads. I am running an Andrews A with hydraulics and want to change. Cotton is correct, it dosen't work well with hydraulics, even good non oem ones, at least with 20/50 break-in oil. Seems ok with 60wt, but I don't want to risk it. Crane is gone, so for now I am looking at a S&S 450-S. almost the same lift as the A .475 (A is .470 which works now with my head set up), but some less duration. 236/238 as opposed to 244/244 of the A grind. A grind has been kicking, starting and running perfectly. I know that less duration will give more compression, but how much more for a few degrees? Have no knocking now, don't want any!
The bike is is not real heavy, no bars, light leather bags. It is geared tall though, and maybe I should change that now? The stroke makes a big difference. I am 23 theeth on the mill and 25 on the trans. Seems a bit much off the line. Sure would be nice on the road I think. Not broken in yet, so I can't really test it. Thoughts, opinions???? Factory cam specs???? Cam suggestions??? Want to stick to .475 max lift so I don't have to pull the heads.

Thanks,

Scott
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: Factory cam specs/ cam suggestions.

Post by steinauge »

I have had good results on those small strokers with the Andrews BH.256 duration @.053 470 lift in a pan and designed to run with hydraulics.
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

I have almost the same motor, '61 with 4.5" S&S wheels, Velva Touch lifters, S&S oil pump. A few weeks ago I installed the 450S cam, and am pleased with it. I had been running a more radical cam, though, with a 254/260 duration (similar to an Andrews B). With considerably less overlap than the old cam, the kicking compression is higher, but not at all a concern. Just means I can actually find a compression stroke easily now!. Runs good, smoother idle than I was used to. More power in the 2000 RPM range, and definitely less finicky starting. Lacks some of the higher RPM "punch", but a more "civilized" cam for my around town cruising.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

read this it has some info in it that you my like....

leineweber cams

Strokin it........
stroker93
Inactive member
Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Post by stroker93 »

I run a 88" with an Andrews B and solids,STD heads,,pulls good low end.
Dave,

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”