cam gear fell out

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
61FLHPan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1961FlHPan 73flh@1983lowrider

cam gear fell out

Post by 61FLHPan »

I am new to the site it agreat site problem my cam gear came out when i took off the gear case cover i was reading shop book it said to line up all gears with the marks my question is if i use the kicker to bring the timeing gear mark around then line the rest of the mark with that gear is that the best way to do it.I never put a cam in before
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: cam gear fell out

Post by RUBONE »

Any method of turning the engine will work. Kicker is fine. But be aware that the cam gear turns at half speed to the crank and that the idler gear that drives the circuit breaker runs off the cam. Therefore you have a 50% chance that you will also have to re-time the circuit breaker when you replace the cam. Make sure all the spacers and shims are in place (the thrust plate on the crankcase end and the shim on the cam). You will also have to loosen the adjustment on all the pushrods and go through the whole adjustment procedure once the cam is in (Due to spring pressure and the hydraulics opening up the cam will not clear all the tappet rollers to re-install. That means cleaning and bleeding all the lifters. If you have solids you still need to back them off, preferably enough to remove them!) You have succeeded in creating a good little job for yourself. Next time you pull a cam cover you will remember to make sure the cam does not come out! And if you are changing the cam, the cover, the bushings, or any other part from what was there you will need to re-shim the cam.
Good luck and feel free to ask if you have a problem.
Robbie
61FLHPan
Inactive member

Post by 61FLHPan »

I GOT THE BIKE BACK TOGETHER I STILL NEED HELP TIMING THE BIKE EVERY I TIME IT AND WHEN I RETARTED THE BIKE FELT LIKE IT WAS FULL ADVANCE THE GASS WAS SHOUTIMG OUT OF CARB WHEN I KICK THE BIKE
COULD I BE TIMING DIS. BE OFF IT 1961PAN I GOT SINGLE POINT I USE TIMING LIGHT AND COULD NOT FIND TIMING MARK IN THE HOLE BUT WHEN KICKING IT BY HAND I CAN GET THE TIMING MARK LINE UP IN THE HOLE THE HOLE TIMING THING IS GETING CONFUSEING
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Timing is actually quite simple on a Pan.
Remove your spark plugs so the engine will turn easily.
Remove the timing plug and take the retaining clip off your front intake pushrod cover.
Slowly roll engine over and observe the front pushrod. Once it is down all the way the timing mark will come into view in the timing hole. Now you know you are on the correct cylinder.
With the timing mark in the center of the hole you can now look at the circuit breaker. When it is FULLY ADVANCED (Counter clock-wise) the points should be just beginning to open. You can determine that with a test light, multimeter, or the naked eye if your vision is good enough. (The points cam mark should closely line up with the fiber on the points).
If any one of those conditions does not exist you have a problem. The maximum movement of the circuit breaker top is only about one tooth worth on the drive gear. If you can't line the points up by adjusting the top your circuit breaker may be a tooth off. If the intake pushrod is not all the way down when the timing mark comes into the hole your cam is not timed correctly.
A timing light is only good to check and fine tune IF everything else is already correct, and is not any more accurate then correct static timing on a system with manual advance.
Take it slow and check each thing in turn.
Robbie
61FLHPan
Inactive member

Post by 61FLHPan »

THANK ROBBIE FOR THE INFO I TOOK USE AVISE AND TOOK MY TIME STEP BY STEP GOT TIME THE TIMING MARK RIGHT WHERE SHOUNLD BE WHENI PUT THE TIMING LIGHT ON IT I STATIC TIME IT FIRST HAD TO MOVE DIS. ONE NOTCH TOOK BIKE OUT FOR RIDE AROUND THE NIABERHOOD RAN REALLY GOOD KNOCK ON WOOD ONLY THING THAT HAPPING WAS MY CLUTCH CABLE BROKE THANK YOU

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”