Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
Burkey
Inactive member
Bikes: 55 FLE Pan 26 flat Head 35
51 pan FL 1918 mod j twin
54 G Flat Head 29 single 500cc

Cam change

Post by Burkey »

Guy,s I have a 55 FLE the cam maybe one of the 61 cub types. it is hard to crank over to start. do you think i could make a cam change that will make it not so hard to crank up at start. if so let me no what will make a good one to put in.

Thanks
burkey
sleeper

Re: Cam change

Post by sleeper »

burkey,

More info necessary: By hard starting, do you mean you're kicking it excessively to start ??Many, many times.

Or do you mean it has too much compression to give it a good down-stroke ??
If the second is the issue get a "Stroker Kicker Arm"
They are 1" longer & mathematically that equates to min. 50 more pounds of ass on you. Easier to kick.. :)
Burkey
Inactive member
Bikes: 55 FLE Pan 26 flat Head 35
51 pan FL 1918 mod j twin
54 G Flat Head 29 single 500cc

Post by Burkey »

Billy, It has too much comp 130 lbs for a good down stroke if it does not start on first few cranks I am out . a cam with a wider lobe separation angle and duration change may kill some of my crank comp to help me so what is good cam to go with.
Burkey
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Changing the kicker arm is $$ easier to a 1" longer Stroker kicker arm.

burkey, 130 psi is good compression. Not excessive.
Some people would be very happy to have those readings.
If you don't believe me about the longer kicker, I'm serious & it works.
Before any further, we are talking about a 74"FL right
how much is it over-bored ?
Does it run bad ?
Are your valves over-sized ? If your valves are over-sized, this is NOT the way to go.. As a cam with a good bit of 'overlap'[lot of duration] will possibly/likely have the valves wreck into each other.
Read in the archives..
Zooma
Inactive member

Post by Zooma »

Billy is right on with the longer "stroker" kicker arm.I put one on my1962 that is a 93 incher and It was a graeat improvement.Also I run a multi grade syntetic oil. the syn.oils are more fluid when cold.and get thicker whith heat, the opposite of dino oils.So its alot easyer to kick over on a cold morning.I think that to go with a cam with a large overlap will hurt your overall performance and won't ease your starting.Work on your setup:timing,carb adjustment and jetting,plugs,ignition,etc..with a new engine it takes time but it will get easier as you learn the starting "ritual" for your paticular bike and the engine gets broken in.and when you do get it rite... it dosn't get much better than that feeling of sweet running pan down the road.
goodluck

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”