Timer and idler gear backlash

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Timer and idler gear backlash

Post by panwars »

Hey everybody,

I am still assembling the 61 and ran into this...I bought (because it seemed like a good idea at the time), an S&S timer gear which is made thinner, to give the exhaust lobe on a high lift cam clearance. All good so far. My original timer and idler gears had 0 backlash and had to be put in together and slid along the pinion. They were snug! I never had too much whine, though I had a little. Now with the S&S gear it has lash against the pinion and against the idler. My guess at this point is at least a few thou. I can see the movement and definately can hear it when moved by hand. My cam gear to pinion fit is perfect at o lash but easy slide together so they will be quiet.

How bad is lash in these other gears? Will they set up a clatter while running the timer and generator?

Please advise, I am so close finally, I want to button this thing up.

Thanks, Scott
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: Timer and idler gear backlash

Post by steinauge »

It all depends on how much backlash.Excessive backlash in single cam engines usually comes through sounding like a noisy front exhaust pushrod.If this bothers you I would go back to your other gear if it is usable.Normally the gears should have a light drag against each other when pulled back and forth on a cold engine.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Timer and idler gear backlash

Post by mbskeam »

mine are a bit loose... just a annoying sound thats all....

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”