Cams

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Cams

Post by fourthgear »

I got to comparing my new Crane 300H to the old Andrews B and the "B " should have a higher lift, but it is measuring less than the 300H ,could it be that worn or am I measuring it wrong. I believe the "B" should be .507 and the 300H should be .479, I'm getting close to the .479 for the 300 H , but I'm only getting .410 from the "B" , can it be that worn ? both intakes lobes are reading about the same.

My OEM cam in my other Pan had one intake lobe almost round .
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The actual lift is higher than the lobe height because of the pan rocker geometry....
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Panacea

What? Does the push rod stretch when it goes up? Does the rocker "cam" when it rotates? What part of the valve train geometry accelerates the lift when it operates? I always thought it was pretty much a 1 to 1 ratio through all the moving parts. The only geometry affect would be in the hydraulic lifter systems, and they would usually decrease the lift.

just curious.....

mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

mike

i think it has to do with the short arm vs. the long arm on the rocker.

kinda like the fat kid on the see saw!

john
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

its called base circle of the cam,
what this means is the round part of the B cam has a smaller OD than the
300 H

measure the cam lift
measure the base circle then divide by 2 then subtract this number from the total lift, then times it by 1.5 (rocker arm ratio) this should be your lift....

clear as mud

mbskeam
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The pushrod socket arm is shorter than the arm that pushes the valve down, from rocker center line the socket is 15/16" and the center of the valve tip is aprox. 1 7/16". Thus adding travel or lift beond what the cam provides.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

thanks guys, it makes perfect sense now. I forgot about the unequal arm length. Panacea's arm length measurements and mbskeams's 1.5:1 ratio explain the whole thing.

In my defense, most of my experience is with the flatheads, whatever lift the cam gives you is exactly what you get at the valve. (minus the valve lash at the tappet of course)

John, the teeter-totter analogy is very descriptive, you can prove it to yourself with a pencil and a ruler and moving the balance point. The end of the longer arm definitely travels further. Guess what I was doing at work today after you posted that? The guy in the cubicle across from me must have been watching me experiment with my "model" rocker arm and asked what I was doing. Now he's convinced that I'm totally nuts.

mike
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Clear as mud , ah , mbskeam, well I will have to do some measuring to check that out . Learn some thing new every day here on the Panhead sight , I've been saying that a lot lately , live & learn . The rocker ratio/length make sense and good to know . I'm not sure about the fat kid .
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

mbskeam

for lobe lift you subtract the entire diameter of the base circle from the total height of the cam to get the amount of lift from just the cam, then multiply by the rocker ratio to get valve lift. from the Lunati folks:

Understanding Camshaft Specifications
LIFT
Lift refers to maximum valve lift. This is how much the valve is "lifted" off its seat at the cam lobe’s highest point.

How is it measured?
Valve Lift is the amount (usually in inches) that the valve is lifted off of its seat. It is usually measured with a dial indicator at the tip of the valve. Lobe Lift is the amount (usually in inches) that the cam lobe increases in radius above the cam base circle.

Tip: To quickly find maximum lobe lift, measure the base circle of the cam and subtract it from the thickness across the cam lobe’s highest point (see the diagram below).

Tip: Maximum valve lift can be calculated by multiplying the maximum lobe lift times the rocker ratio. For example, a 0.310" lobe lift cam yields 0.496" of valve lift when using a 1.6 ratio rocker arm.

Formula: valve lift = lobe lift x rocker ratio
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Well now I have to take another measurement . I haven't did the math on the first formula yet . I feel like I'm in school again, is it time for recess yet ! :lol:
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

well...
I am wrong sorry, I had to go back and look at my book,I just remembered that the cam heel dia was split in 2 in the illustration I have. subtract the full dia not 1/2 like I said...
but the smaller base/heel dia is how you get higher lifts in the same space as smaller lift cams.
my bad.....

mbskeam

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”