Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Idler gear backlash

Post by Skip »

What is acceptable backlash for the idler gear?...What is the ramifactions of too much?...I may have more once these are answered....Thanks once again....Skip
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Backlash for idler gear

Post by Panacea »

Skip, I know my engine builder was concerned with the end play on the helical gear at the end of the breaker shaft. A little excessive play can screw up your timing. Mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

There is a spec on it some where ,I am not at home or I'd see if it was in one of the manuals, I know I checked mine when I assembled the motor. Are you asking for gear to gear interference or end play of gear on shaft ?
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

gear to gear...but if you have both it would be much appreciated...let me know the manual too if you don't mind...couldn't find it in any of mine...I can rock my idler gear back and forth...a guess would be 1/8 to 1/4 inch...I believe that has to be too much...but it runs fine...wondering about a charging issue...thanks again...Skip
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

looky here.....

it is in three different places in the same book......

to me the backlash it is kinda a feel thing. it will move a very slight amount back and forth (.free to .002). but if you want to you can set up a dial indicator, put the tip at 90deg to gear. set dial at zero then rock gear back and forth you will see the needle move.if its more than .002 it will start to tick but this will not really hurt anything.since all the gears are driven most of the lash is taken up as each gear drives the next one, and oil will quite it up also.

at least this is how I do it

mbskeam
Skip
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Thanks...sat down last night (for the 3rd time) and found that same damn thing...I checked mine with the generator out and it had (a guess) 1/8 to 1/4 inch play...thanks for your time...Skip

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”