Timing gears

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
Fritz
Inactive member

Timing gears

Post by Fritz »

I think I may have sheared the woodruff key on the pinion shaft, but before I tear into this......my question is.....with all the timing gears aligned, what position should the engine be in, top dead center? With all my gears aligned, both piston are down.
1962 Pan
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Fritz!

Aligning the timing marks in the gearcase does not put the motor at any particular position relevant to the timing mark. After assembly, you can then turn the motor through to install the timer by the flywheel mark.

It is very hard to shear a pinion gear key. The tapers of the gear and shaft are what actually secure the assembly; the key is just an installation aid.
I have encountered broken shafts (especially in '70s era Chubbles), but never a spun gear.

If indeed your gear has moved slightly, it would be hard to determine without removal: Perhaps if a degree wheel were used to check the timing and found it off to an extreme....

....Cotten
Fritz
Inactive member

Post by Fritz »

Thanks for the info Cotton, I may just have a problem with dumdassedness.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Fritz, I most have lost something here? You all ready have the cam cover off? It would take thirty seconds to pull the pinion gear and check? Bob
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Timing gears

Post by 58flh »

I was going to recomend what Cotton already toild you! borow,beg or ahem,somehow aquire a degree-wheel----Listen to cotton the man knows what hes talking about!!! The wheel will let you know if something aint right!--Even if its a miniscule amount! best of luck-----58flh
Mikko
Inactive member
Bikes: Panhead -49-FL
Ironhead -80

Post by Mikko »

Hello . Just got my first panhead ( FL-49 )this summer and since the driving season in Finland is over, it is time to take the bike to parts . The problem is that when i started to look for the cam lining marks ,the pinion doesnt have any . How will i get the lining correct ?

-Mikko
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

You need new glasses, I can see the marks on there! the mark for the cam is between two teeth at about 3 0'clock, the mark for the timer drive is in the center of the fourth tooth clockwise at about 5 o'clock.
Mikko
Inactive member
Bikes: Panhead -49-FL
Ironhead -80

Post by Mikko »

I really do need glasses :shock: Took a flashlite and checked again really closely and found the marks .

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”