Cam learning experience

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Cam learning experience

Post by Sidecar »

Description: This is the 3rd Andrews cam that I tried. I didn't like any of them.

A couple of months ago I had an Andrews BH cam installed. I did not like the performance of it but, that was not the real problem. I had a lean idle problem that took quite a while to figure out. It would cough back through the carb and die while idling. Rejetting made no difference. A new E carb made no difference. New wires, plugs and coil made no difference. New electronic dist. made no difference. Manifold test showed no leaks. Fuel line ok. Checked all wiring on bike. Stuck an old B carb on the bike and it fixed the problem. I finally thought that the cam was sucking the fuel mix out ( at idle ) with the intake/exhaust overlap ? I never ride hard anymore so I didn't want this cam anyway. We changed it to a Crane 300H and put the E back on. No more problems !!!! The low end torque jumped dramatically. Feels like I gained 10 HP by taking the Andrews out and putting the Crane in. I put 250 miles on with the Crane and it has not coughed once.

This is the 3rd Andrews cam that I tried. I didn't like any of them. I should have listened to Cotten and tried the Crane first.
I should add that I did not like the lack of performance at the low rpm's on the andrews cams. Wide open they seemed okay but, that's not the way I ride anymore.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Cam learning experience

Post by Panacea »

I wonder if that crane would work well on my 84 inch pan, I have a b that was in there but never really impressed me. When my buddy had this bike and raced me on my 74 inch pan they were dead even, that had a A cam in it. Could be because the exhaust ports are so restricted, sombody welded in some new spigots that are real thick...MW
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

Sidecar ........

was it hard to start?

mbskeam
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

Sidecar, Do you think the idle could have been set too low for that cam , giveing the overlap time to cause the cough back?
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Mbskeam:
The bike was extremely hard to start. Lots of kicks needed with the andrews cam. I'm back to 1 or 2 with the Crane.

With the BH the bike was a real pig at low rpms when running down the road. It would die off. You could feel it in your throttle hand. It's kinda hard to describe but, it felt like there was nothing there when you twisted the throttle and you had to downshift to get it back. Kinda like it bogged down when you twisted the throttle.

108:
I don't have a tach so I'm not sure what the idle speed was. I can tell you that I cranked it up while changing intermediate jets. I'll bet that it was around 1200 to 1500 revs. The largest intermediate I tried was a 33. Normal for me is a 295
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

sidecar
Hell , I like my Crane 269A cam , its got a great power curve so to speak and one kick start , I just picked up a CV will very few miles on it and plan on putting a side my Linkert for a better performing carb, not that I don't like the old link. , I think its a great carb. , but think I will get better performance and fuel mileage with the CV with this cam,( sleeper seems to like them.)
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I overheard it declared on another forum that "Linkerts make heat, CV's do not".
Unless the carb is on fire, I have a hard time grasping how any carb makes heat.

Any insights, Sleeper?

...Cotten
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

fourthgear,

I also run the Crane 296A and a CV carb. Had that combination for about 25,000 miles now. The bike always starts easy.
In terms of gas milage, I get about 45MPG around town. Two weekends ago I did a longer highway trip (200miles) on a Saturday morning. First time I've measured the gas milage under those conditions. These were old state highways with speeds around 60-65mph and very little stopping. Hold on to your hat... 60MPG! I couldn't believe it either. Measured it again on the trip home... 60MPG! Blew me away. I figured it would only climb a few MPG from around town.
Contributing factors: My bike is geared pretty high... 1.48:1 primary drive ratio, and a 24T transmission sprocket. Also, it's a stripped down chopper so it's pretty light. Wasn't hot rodding it. Just cruisin' 60-65mph and enjoying a rare August day below 100F degrees in Arizona.

-Craig
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Craig, I'd be interested in your plug reading after a 60 MPG jaunt...W
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Hmmm... good point. I should check that next time. Normally my plugs look a little on the rich side, but most of my riding is around town.

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Cotten
Make heat , thats a new one or good one ? Maybe if its tuned real lean or of course the dreaded manifold leak , but that wouldn't be the carbs fault and we all know that.

caschnd1
Cool , I can't wait to try the Cv. Mine is coming next week , I have a friend flying down and he is bring it with him, hope theres no problem with bringing it in his baggage. Is your motor pretty much stock ? I'm running 9.5-1 KB pistons with the cam and still running points (auto adv. )
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

fourthgear,

Here is what's been done to the motor that might effect gas milage:

Compression Ratio: 8.5:1
Heads:
* Dual Plugged
* Ported
* Oversized valves

Displacement: 74" +0.060
Carb:
* CV40
* slow jet - #50
* main jet - #175
* N86E needle
* 2 turns on the idle screw

Exhaust: Free flowing (Paughco 22" mufflers)
Cam: Crane 296A
Ignition: PowerArc - single fire, multi-spark

-Craig
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

caschnd1
The duel plug heads will definitely help with fuel mileage, I'm pretty sure my valves are of stock dimensions although they are Manley S/S with Crane 's thermal cool springs . I'm running a after market auto adv. distributor ,but will probably put my Mallory dist. in after I set the CV up. I would sure like to get near what mileage you are getting , who wouldn't.
Is there a jet set up with diff. sizes you can purchase as a kit or do ya have to get as you go to set up the carb. right? I'm also running the stock exh. set up with large single muffler, that in it self may hinder optimum flow for better fuel mileage, but who knows. I will find out . I am getting about 42 mpg now and of course it goes down with the old lady on with me.
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

How can those be considered panheads...again not trying to piss in any ones yard here...and I too donm't care what you do to your machine...but "dual plug heads"...cv carbs...sounds like twinkies to me...I much prefer my linkert running...oil dripping...plug fouling...808th panhead off the line in 1948...MY opinion...Skip
1950 bobber

Post by 1950 bobber »

Well Skip...a man's choice of machine, is just that..HIS CHOICE! When you say you "don't want to piss in another man's backyard, BUT"....you are doing just that...any sentence ending in "BUT"...is a criticism no matter how you slice it! Your opinion is valid...To you! I've owned a "replica" Pan...they are a relatively modern motor...avoids alot of the problems that got in the way of OEM stock Pans....I am like you in the sense that I prefer "old" (I have a 1950 OEM Pan)...the dripping oil, the rough feel, the knowing that I'm truely riding "old" and enjoying it like some did 50+ years ago...sticking your 2 cents out there can become, "who cares"?????
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”