gearcase cover bushing

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

gearcase cover bushing

Post by fourthgear »

I noticed last night when inspecting and measuring the fitment of the gear case cover bushings to there corresponding shafts, that the pinion bushing oil hole does not line up completely with the oiling passage in the gear case cover (1965 )Of course the manual instructs you to alien the holes in the bushing and passage and then drill the hole for the bushing pin . This one is about half way aliened . Is this some ones way of metering oil to the pinion shaft end or is this a screw up that I should make right or does it really matter? Any opinions? Facts ?
chucklbones
Inactive member

gear cover bushing

Post by chucklbones »

hey now forurthgear
yep make it rite pinon needs all the oil it can get
chucklbones
flatside
Bikes: '67 FLH custom

Post by flatside »

Important, yes. Forgiving,,, only if your extremely lucky, as was my case when my pinion nut (what a prick of a thing THAT is)
I had the pinion nut come loose, although it'll naturally tighten with the engines direction of turning while in use, it had slowly knocked the bush further into the timing chest cover until the oil feed capability was down to about 5% of what HD had in mind.
This was discovered by accident while preparing for a general major o/haul in '91 , and all that was required was a new bush,,untill,, it happened again ! (again, found by accident while camming up)
I pumped the moved bush back into place using a greasegun and a plug in the bush, and made the effort to make a pinion nut socket before retightening it (ya would think I'd have learned by now eh!)
Last time I checked,,,she's still as tight as a fish's ass :wink:
Tiny
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I found last night when probing with a dental tool , that there was some thing partially blocking the oil passage right at where the bushing hole and passage meet . Once I started digging at it and started to break pieces of it away , it finally dislodged and fell inside the passage . I used compressed air to blow it out and stuff blew out ,but have no idea what it was , but it was fairly hard. I will flush after leaving some mineral spirits in there over night.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”