Andrews A cam with 10:1 pistons

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
Swede
Bikes: 1958 Panhead

Andrews A cam with 10:1 pistons

Post by Swede »

Description: Can I run an Andrews A grind with 10:1 pistons

Hi everybody, I searched earlier topics, but I could not find the info I need, and I hope you guys can help me. I am rebuilding my 1958 Panhead and I just put on a pair of STD heads and I will also put in a new cam and new pistons. Now to my question:
- Can I run an Andrews A grind with 10:1 pistons or will the static pressure be a problem? Has anybody here tried it?

I will run it on 98 octane and I have double plug heads, which I think would allow me to run a not to aggressive timing, thus enabling the setup. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Malmo, Sweden
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Andrews A cam with 10:1 pistons

Post by Jack_Hester »

Nick -

If you plan to run that compression, you may want to consider a 'B' grind or a 'BH' grind (hydraulic). Later intake valve closing time, than the 'A' grind. Will reduce the effective compression to something more suitable to pump gas. It will also make for easier cranking. The 'A' grind intake closing time is close to an OEM 'H' cam. It will be tough on you and the kickstarter, with the 10:1 compression. The 'B' or 'BH' will make your compression closer to stock, but will have a better mid-range to top end. Just checking the Andrews specs for a better choice.

Jack

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”