'63 Pan timing cover leak

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
scorsi1
Bikes: '42 WLA, '52 FLF, '63 FL, '87 FLHTC

'63 Pan timing cover leak

Post by scorsi1 »

I re-sealed my stock '63 FL motor a couple of years ago using Permatex copper spray sealer on the gasket, but it seems to still be leaking. Gasket surfaces look good. What is the secret to stop this leak, which goes onto my exhaust?
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Re: '63 Pan timing cover leak

Post by UPSROD »

Could be the rear Welch plug!
scorsi1

Post by scorsi1 »

I would replace plug just to be on the safe side, but I'm not sure where to get the correct one. This leak seems to be seeping along the bottom edge of the cam cover, but you know how oil migrates. Maybe I'll try a more aggressive gasket glue, but not silicone in this area due to oil passages. Thanks for the input.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Also have a good look at the screws over the exhaust & under the cover for Hairline crack or cracks that leak when shes up to temp.Use the Permatex LIGHTLY on both sides-& seal to spec starting in the middle & working outward in a circle.I use motoroil on my gasket & just wipe the tiny line from tourquing each to spec.As long as the covers STRAIGHT She will seal until you pull it again for rollers or whatever.-Respectfully---Richie
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

If you don't see any obvious mating surface issues I would try a James gasket with the built in silicon bead in the gasket center, they work well,
without all the glue and sealers. Clean and dry, clean and dry.
If you have a piece of glass big enough, set your primary cover on it and check for gaps with a feeler gauge.

Jim
andyinlz
Bikes: 1967 FLH
1959 FLH
Other H-Ds

Post by andyinlz »

I bought Welch plugs for my leaking '67 from J&P.

They were tough to find as they do not have a HD part number.

Try searching on their site using the name.

Or this:

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/search?N ... 33&Ntk=All" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

Scorsi1,
James' suggestion to check the flatness of the cover is a good one. Depending on what type of gasket sealer or "glue" gets used, sometimes the covers end up getting roughed up when they are removed. I recently bought a Cometic gasket set that has a real nice looking "foam" coated metal (goes on dry too) cam cover gasket that looks like a pretty promising alternative to the traditional fiber ones.

Geo.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

George---Those gaskets sound promising!--I been using the thin paper James gaskets.& they work nicely!--But if someone has a rightcase that's messed-up /or a cover that's really not to good/& would have to remove to much matieral to flatten-Now the all the gears have to be checked for running clearance--These gaskets sound promising!-(for a dripless-fix).You mentioned there some kind of foam & install dry,This sounds good.Is COMETICS the name of the Manufacturer???--Many thanks----RICHIE
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

Richie,
About the Cometic brand gaskets - They sell two different types, the conventional fiber ones, and another line they call "EST" which are the metal ones with a coating of either Viton or some other type "foam" depending on the application. I don't have any personal experience with the Cometic Panhead gasket set yet, (other than having a set of them in my hands), in the past I've generally used James brand on pans and shovels; but I'll have more info on them after I use them in a motor build next month. They were recommended to me by a guy who says he has switched to them exclusively for pan and shovel rebuilds in his shop.
The Cometic EST set for pan motors is #9966.

About 15 years ago I started using an extra thin Cometic metal head gasket on a hop-up package that I did on several Twin-cam motors; I needed an extra thin head gasket to get the particular "squish" I wanted for that application. They were a multi-layer coated metal gasket (no gasket sealer or dressing) and worked excellent.

Geo.
scorsi1

Post by scorsi1 »

Thanks for all the advice! I'm thinking the rear Welch plug may have been the culprit. I bought a pack of 10 stainless from McMaster Carr, so I have 9 left. If anyone needs one, I'll mail you one and save you about $16! I cleaned the recess and plug and used red Locktite, plus put a layer of epoxy over while it was clean. Gasket surfaces looked pretty good for a 50 yr. old bike. James gasket, sprayed with Permatex copper adhesive. It fills minor imperfections, and what little that oozes out won't plug anything, plus easy removal and cleanup. If it still leaks, I will try a higher-tech gasket.

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”