Engine cases

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
PeterRytter
Inactive member

Engine cases

Post by PeterRytter »

Hi there

Anyone know if i will be able to bolt a 65 innerprimary on my 48 enginecase ??
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

In a word, no, you can't. However, given enough money, you can do anything.
VPH-D
PeterRytter
Inactive member

Re: Engine cases

Post by PeterRytter »

What are the differences between the 48 and 65 engine cases ??
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Peter

Hilsen fra Virginia.

From the standpoint of mounting the inner primary I don’t think there is any difference between the two motor cases. But the primary cases are very different. The 48 inner primary is pressed steel and set up to bolt to the motor by three bolts surrounding the sprocket shaft. The rear is secured to the oil tank and a frame bracket. The aluminum 65 inner primacy is designed to accommodate the electric starter shaft and gear and provide a ridged mounting for the starter and also to be sealed. It too bolted to the motor, but in 65 the transmission case was totally redesigned to allow the inner primary to bolt to it with four bolts making an almost “unitized system”.

Although the 65 aluminum inner primary will probably bolt to a 48 motor case you will have to change the oil tank to accommodate the raised part of the case that houses the starter gear. If you are using a 65-79 transmission then the rear of the primary will bolt right on if not you would have to make some sort of a trick bracket to secure it. But I believe you would also have to change the transmission mount plate of your 48 frame to fit the later tranny.

As VPH-D said not impossible but very costly.

I have a fogy memory of someone posting an example of a 65 primary on an earlier Pan or Flatty a couple of years ago so you might search this site.

Good to hear from someone in Danmark my oldefolk came from Tronse near Svendborg

Heij

King
PeterRytter
Inactive member

Post by PeterRytter »

Hi King

Nice to know that still som people know the real meaning of the word danish ! :D

My plans by using a 65 inner primary is to convert the bike to electrical start. I know that a 70 - 84 inner primary can be used by making a custom bracket that bolts the primary to the engine (ive seen that done several times). But i also know that it cost a lot of work to make this bracket (measuring and fabricating) so i hoped i could cut down on the work time by using a 65 inner primary.

Im totally aware that i need another tranny case and i either buy another case and put all my gears in it or i buy a sputhe 5 speed tranny that bolts into the 4 speed frame. (maybe my favorit solution because of that smooth gearshift the 5 speeds have)

Besides the need for another oiltank i also have to replace my sprocket shaft and my trannys mainshaft. I am aware that this is a hole lot work to do, but i already have almost all the parts i need for it so im not afraid of the economy in the project
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Unfortunately, a couple of millimeters may have to be shaved from the primary lip on the left case to allow for alignment.

And the primary case bolt holes must be egged, or welded and re-drilled.

It is also prudent to machine an aluminum insert within the left case lip to fill the gap between case and primary, for strength and sealing.

One of those rightside-drive starters http://www.bikernet.com/garage/PageView ... ageID=1499 makes a whole lot more sense, as it would not permanently booger as much original hardware .

...Cotten

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”