CAM CHEST REBUILD

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
jbgoodner2
Bikes: Nellie Belle,1962 Duo-Glide Police Special.1966 Shovelhead, 1998 Road King

CAM CHEST REBUILD

Post by jbgoodner2 »

Well, the guy that did the cam and breather gear install wasn't competent, (Pinion shaft nut was HAND LOOSE !!!!!, .030 end play on breather, .010 on the cam !!!!), so I am doing it over, myself, as I should have from the beginning.... Is there any thing I should know about replacing the cam needle bearing? Since I have it apart, and there IS play, I am changing it. I am borrowing the Jims tools to do it with, and have read that the installation tool will set it at the correct depth, so I should be good to go, right? Thanks for any input !!!! God Bless !!!!!!!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: CAM CHEST REBUILD

Post by Cotten »

JB!

What brand of bearing shall you choose?

A late-model associate warns me that Torrington ain't what she used to be.

....Cotten
jbgoodner2
Bikes: Nellie Belle,1962 Duo-Glide Police Special.1966 Shovelhead, 1998 Road King

Post by jbgoodner2 »

It's a koyo, the local bearing house said Torrington doesn't make needle bearings now, not for a few years. i went to a local shop and got one. I just checked and the new bearing has as much play on the cam as the one in the case, so I don't think I will change it. the old one looks fine, no visible wear....Would it be an imposition to ask you for a phone number, or to offer you mine? You seem to be a man that I NEED to know !!!!! I have been riding and wrenching on Nellie Belle for 45 years, but I am constantly astounded by your answers on here ! Also, I need to have my flywheels done and my rods rebuilt soon and do not know anyone that I trust to do it, so any input will be greatly appreciated !!! (By the way, you don't do any wrenching, do you ?) if we can connect, please let me know ! Thanks again, Ride Safe, and God Bless !!!!!
jbgoodner2

Post by jbgoodner2 »

When I line up the timing marks on the cam, breather, and distributor gears, aren't the pistons supposed to be up, cause mine are not....do I need to rotate the crank until they are and then time the cam, etc.,....sorry to ask such dumb questions, but it has been over 30 years since I've done this, and I have trouble remembering yesterday !!!! LOL !!!! Thanks !!!!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

JB!

Sorry,
But I am hearing impaired, and telephones annoy me.
And Liberty's motor and chassis departments have been closed for over a decade, as I search far and wide for somebody to take them over.

(In the meantime, I am a student of carbs & manifolds only...)

I never noticed where the pistons were when the marks are lined up.
They can only be in one place, although the timer itself can be "one-eighty" out, relative to the cam. (I don't know the exact degree.)

....Cotten
jbgoodner2

Post by jbgoodner2 »

Thanks anyway !!! God Bless !!!!
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

call this guy http://www.boneafidecycle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he did my motor. good rates, good price and no bullshit.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The marks on the cams only line up one way, the piston location has nothing to do with. The pinion shaft is keyed to the flywheel, the pinion gear is indexed to the shaft, and the marks are factory set. Line them all up and you are fine. When you drop the timer in place the front intake tappet should have just closed and the timing mark has just come into the hole. The timing mark is also centered in the hole to set the breather gear timing on the return pump.
All is covered in the manuals.
Robbie
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Robbie, i get everything you said about lining all the marks up and all is good. what i dont understand is what you said about the timing mark being centered in the hole to set the breather gear timing on the return pump. can you please explain a little further on that? i thought that by lining up all the gear marks all should be timed properly including the breather gear. i looked in the manual and found nothing on that. maybe i looked in the wrong section? i looked in the "ASSEMBLY" section for the gear case.
gracias,
arnulfo
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Jb---nows your chance to get rid of the needlebering in the case!,--use a bushing!--That was one of the first real backward step in Moco motors in 58.I changed mine out & sleep well at night or while bangin some gears!---Remember all those needles are little monsters that if it lets go GOOD-BYE motor.Just my 2 on it!--I did a friends camchest & topend on shovel & out came the bering! without question!--If they are not made by Torrington/-thats scary right there as Torrington were no good anyway!--just my opinion--good-luck--Richie 8)

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”