CRANKCASE BREATHER QUESTION

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
BCOWANWHEELS
Bikes: 1959 PAN CHOPPER

CRANKCASE BREATHER QUESTION

Post by BCOWANWHEELS »

I,am working on my crank case vent bolt setup now. my question is, is there some kind of seal (I.E. rubber, o-ring etc ) used on the vent end of the bolt ? I,am modifying it to vent outside of my tins and to the ground or rear chain ( havent made my mind up yet on this ). I,am installing a Karata inside the primary belt drive. also gonna make some air vent holes on the inside tin where you cant see em so belt can breath - cool a little.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Re: CRANKCASE BREATHER QUESTION

Post by james »

What I have done and hate to do to an original part is cut the tube where it bends into the primary and add a piece of tubing to make the breather shoot to the ground behind the inner primary.
I suggest using an aftermarket breather to do this. Dont cut up a oem part it makes me kringe. There is no O ring or seal, you can use a little sealer.

Jim
BCOWANWHEELS

Post by BCOWANWHEELS »

yea, i bought a after market tube breather to modify but i might just end up making a complete new one .
just startin this end of the job....
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Be careful when you tighten the breather nut so you don't pull the case bolt through the breather fitting ..Mike
BCOWANWHEELS

Post by BCOWANWHEELS »

well the u.s.a. made breather tube i bought doesnt fit because of the weld where it was assembled.... so looks like another item to "build " gonna incorperate a copper sealing washer in my design. cant you buy anything good anymore ?????
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Bob, There are a couple of different ways to do this. One you can pop out the welsh plug to the left of the oil pump and tap it or ya can make a rubber expansion to fit into the hole. A bolt with a hole drilled down the center with a couple of washers and a piece of hose inbetween. Stick a rubber tube on it to one of those modern breather screen thingies and block off the primary completely. Bob L
panbagger
Bikes: 52 panhead

Post by panbagger »

Thats what I did with my motor years ago. I run a belt so I wanted to plug the chain oiler, but it still need to breath. So I popped the welch plug out and tapped the hole and put a breather on it. Its been that way for over 6 years. works well. Just my 2 cents. Scott
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

o I popped the welch plug out and tapped the hole and put a breather on it.
Basically what H-D did in '65.
Robbie
BCOWANWHEELS

Post by BCOWANWHEELS »

got a picture of this modification ?
panbagger
Bikes: 52 panhead

Post by panbagger »

if you go to the documentation section, go to shop manuals and click on 48 to 57 manuals. Then scroll down to Engine-general open that then scroll down till you see the diagram of return oil system, and you will see were the chain oiler and breather are routed. If you look closely you can see the port were the welch plug is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”