Causes of Oil leaking from rear tappet block?

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
laipappy
Inactive member
Bikes: 58 Panhead bobber

Causes of Oil leaking from rear tappet block?

Post by laipappy »

This my first bike construction project. It seems to run ok except for the puddle of oil seen below. The oil is coming out of the rear lifter block from the lifter tube seals. You cannot see it in the picture but the heads were machined for external oil lines which I have plumbed for -4 AN lines from the side cover.
I did not build this engine, nor did I pull it apart to check to see if the oil pressure passages were plugged for the external oiling or if they are open and now the heads are getting a double shot of oil, internally and externally, causing the drain back passages to become overloaded and is now spilling oil into the pushrod tubes.
Are there any other reasons why oil would leak from the lifter blocks?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Causes of Oil leaking from rear tappet block?

Post by john HD »

nice bike! wacky pipes! bad corks! welcome to the forum!

john :D
jlaley
Bikes: 2004 FLHRSI
1954 FL

Post by jlaley »

My rear block leaks in the same place. I've tried both cork and rubber several times each. Looking at it with the tube removed, the lifter bore and the upper bore for the tube are way offset. So much so that the ledge for the seal is almost non-existent on one side. That's where mine leaks the oil past. I don't have any other rear blocks to compare. Anybody got some photos of theirs? Anyways, maybe yours is the same as mine. I would sure like to hear from others on this.
laipappy
Inactive member
Bikes: 58 Panhead bobber

Post by laipappy »

Ive read elsewhere on this forum that a restricted pump might cause the case to fill up. My oil tank has a built in filter on its side. Id like to remove it and see if that is the problem but I first need to figure out what to put in place of an oil filter. Does anyone have an idea they can share?

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”