Advice on breather hole bore / reed valve breather

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
pusher
Bikes: 1959 FLH

Advice on breather hole bore / reed valve breather

Post by pusher »

Hello,

Here's my 59FLH breather hole. It's pretty messed (got it this way).
img1749r.jpg

Can anyone advise?
I was thinking of going with an S&S reed valve breather but I've been getting conflicting opinions. The only other option I can think of is overbore the hole and find a rotary breather that fits.
hfy6ec12sf7b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: Advice on breather hole bore / reed valve breather

Post by steinauge »

The +030" breather gears seem to be big enough to clear up many of the damaged bores I have seen.Another possibility is to bore the hole to 11\4" and sleeve it.I have done a few this way and it worked out well. I only know one person who has used the S&S reed valve. It seems to be working OK for him but one example isnt enough for a conclusion.In the case of a really badly hurt bore I would think you would get leakage around the reed cage? Probably have to set it in epoxy?
stroker93
Inactive member
Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Post by stroker93 »

The reed valves were designed for the evo,,,,but you can run them in pan&shovels as long as the primary is sealed off..I have one in my shovel and pan ,,both bikes run open belts..I perfer the reed valve as the shovel has a 4 3/4 stroke ,,so no need to open cavity and breather gear or to try to retime for longer stroke..
Dave
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

My friend at work put one in his Evo that had a lot of blowby problems, possibly caused by his Pro-flo pump. He got rid of the pump and replaced it with an S&S HVLP or whatever they call it, and installed the reed valve breather. No more sumping and the mess down the side of the bike is no-more..Mike

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”