Presurising Lower End with a Grease Gun

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Presurising Lower End with a Grease Gun

Post by Ripley/Fla »

Would it be possible to hook a grease gun filled with H-D 20-50 to the oil pressure switch hole and prelubricate the engine? Or would it be a total loss and just fill up the sump? I have been trying to finish my bike and a nasty squeak has started inside the motor or from the motor. Originally after hooking up the oil lines I tried to kick it over a million times to to get the oil back to the tank. That was interrupted by oil coming out of a tappet block and pouring out of the cam cover at the bottom. I fiddled around in there with the idler studs ( a previous post - Thanks to all!) and saw everything was fairly dry. There was oil - but hardly a coating. I made sure everything was well lubricated upon assembly. I really noticed it after adjusting the lifters - so I removed all the pushrods and it is still there. I had shot a little oil down the cylinders before kicking it over, but I can't say they are the culprit. My next step is dropping the generator. After that I will loosen the motor sprocket. That's about all I messed with. Thanks for any input.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Re: Presurising Lower End with a Grease Gun

Post by 51Hog »

Since the engine has not been run, and the engine was lubed properly on assembly, a squeak would appear to be an indication of an out of spec clearance. Are you sure that it is coming from the engine? Maybe the clutch basket on the tin? Chain on the tin?
Oil slinger on the tin?
I would check the obvious first, then start dis-assembly until I located the source.
I do not think that more oil is the answer if you lubed properly.
Good luck...
Dale
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

I did this to mine, used a oil gun and a line to the oil sender port, pumped till oil got to the end of the rocker arms....
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Post by Ripley/Fla »

I removed the generator and the squeak stopped. I have kicked it over enough and the oil is coming out of the missing return line - no need to use a grease gun now, just fix the generator. Thanks for your help! ! ! !
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

What a relief that must be---
Glad it was only the genny.
Dale

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”