Pinion nut torque

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Pinion nut torque

Post by panwars »

Hi all,

I have a pile of books as we all do, Palmers, Clymer, Factory (both) etc. etc. But this site is the best source yet. I am thankful!

My question now is; Palmer is the only one to mention a torque for the pinion nut. Mine is a 1961 and he claims 25 pounds is correct. Sounds ok, I am just curious if those in the know agree. I found this spec after I did the following. I slipped the tapered pinion on with some lube, a Jim's pinion stop tool, and tightened it up to well over twentyfive I suspect. I use a 3/4 inch combination wrench about 10+ inches long, and I am not weak. My guess is 30 to 35 pounds at least. I had blue loctite on the nut threads.

My concern is that I possibly over tightened the nut. I have all the tools, so I can pull the pinion and start over if need be, please advise. Thanks,

Scott
VT

Re: Pinion nut torque

Post by VT »

From Vol. 2 ........................ 35 ft. lbs. for the pinion nut.
panwars
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars »

Thanks V/T, I only have volumn one. My torque is probably close, and that I can double check, but now for the lube. I just had S&S assembly lube on the shaft and didn't think about it til later. Could this cause trouble. Too slippery when pressed on. I asume it is the nut that seats this gear, not a tool. I am not sure what problem, if any, the assembly lube might cause.

Scott
VT

Post by VT »

Thanks for buying Vol. 1.
Vol. 2 includes some motor internals and free-spinning the pump. If you decide to get Vol. 2, we suggest sourcing it from the vintagetwin site. You'll save 10 bucks, plus shipping is included in the price.
A light oil coat or assembly lube on the pinion shaft is OK. The gear is directional. That's important.
panwars
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars »

Thanks VT on both counts. I'll order the book and just recheck the nut torque. Now I need to go make a socket, Hmm...

Scott
VT

Post by VT »

I'll mail your Vol. 2 today and it will arrive within 2-9 days. A small % of the net price is donated to this site.
I'd call Kick-Start (616) 245-8991 EST today (closed weekends) and ask them if they have a (94555-55A) pinion socket.
If you haven't removed the nut yet wait till the book arrives and have the socket arrive at the same time. Somebody has that two-sided socket, maybe http://aaok.com/
Cut the open end off of a good quality 3/4" end wrench and welded an old 13/16" 1/2" drive socket to it
Got a pic?
Last edited by VT on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
panwars
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars »

Hey VT,

I made a tool today, quite simple actualy. Cut the open end off of a good quality 3/4" end wrench and welded an old 13/16" 1/2" drive socket to it. It worked like a charm. I was suprised how much more rotation I needed to get to 35 puonds. I was way loose! Should be good to go now, glad I researched it. Thanks for your help.

Scott
Got a pic?
I'll take one tomorrow and try to post it here, i have trouble getting my digital pics small.
VT

Post by VT »

To get the pics small you need a program. Easier to get one for PC's than a mac, so I use ImageShack.
http://www.imageshack.us/
Make the resolution 640x480 and click the small boxes that say "image size and "remove resolution from thumbnails.
After you click "Browse" and find your pic on your desktop, click "upload" and then you want to cut or copy the url line that says "hotlink for forums".
Note: Tie-off your wires to keep them clear of the cover. With the "light shield" tab bent and "Goop" fastened to the hex spacer, the cover clops down on the dash base like a well worn boot. You can actually throw the cover at the base and it falls into place naturally.
Last edited by VT on Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

scott,

if you are running windoze XP this is possibly the easiest way to change your size of photo files.

best yet it is free. look for the download on this page...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... lman2.mspx

john
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

And if you upload/attach the picture with the post you don't have the risk that the picture will get lost if you use Imageshack or a similar service.
panwars
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars »

Well I thought I did it right, but it vanished. I uploaded the pics, they showed up as jpegs to be loaded in line and I thought that would work.

I think I just figured out how dumb I am, let's try this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VT

Post by VT »

Very good! You used an open end welded to a socket. I get it now. Good thinking. Nice bead.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”