Front Crankcase to Frame Bolts

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Front Crankcase to Frame Bolts

Post by Ripley/Fla »

My motor has had a hard life. Both front motor mounts have been rewelded. My concern is the one under the generator.
The parts book shows a special nut P/N 24797-36 that appears to sit in the counter-bored hole in the ear. Does this nut tighten on the top of the ear or in the bottom of the counter-bored hole? As you can guess neither is really flat anymore. I remember running a socket-head cap screw and washer that was installed prior to the generator. The nut was on the bottom. This was many moons ago, tho! I can hand scrape the upper surface "flat" or parallel to the lower side of the foot - but getting the bottom of the hole "flat" will be a problem. I just got the motor back so it is all assembled and counterboring is out of the question. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Front Crankcase to Frame Bolts

Post by RUBONE »

Ripley,
The special nut tightens against the bottom of the hole. The top of it has an ear on it to keep it from turning as it is tightened. If the counterbore is too shallow the nut might touch your generator, if too deep it won't tighten properly and might break the flange! Perhaps you could use an end mill or a counterbore bit by hand to clean it up, but you need to determine the correct depth.
Robbie
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Ripley, if you get the stock nut it sits down into the counter bore with a hex tab on it to keep it from turning when tightened from below. Actually quite slick! Mike
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Post by Ripley/Fla »

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get one at Kick-Start, etc., then try to straighten out the bottom of the bore one way or another.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

everything you need is included in the "oem style" mounting bolt set,V-Twin#8165-19 made by Colony...http://www.vtwinmfg.com/Catalog1/VTwinCatalogIndex1.htm page 439
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Post by Ripley/Fla »

Panacea - Thanks, I was able to pick up just the nut from Kick-Start. As my bike is a 5 pointer on the AMCA scale, I can use over the counter Grade 5 for the rest.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”