bottom end question

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
crypto

bottom end question

Post by crypto »

First let me thank you for letting me register in your great website. I have a problem with the sprocket seal binding against the timken bearing.(This is a complete rebuild, 1956 pan) The lip of the seal is contacting the inner race on the bearing, its not binding so bad you can turn the engine, but when you tighten the compensator the sprocket sleeve makes the inner race turn and the seal is rubbing pretty hard on the race. Let me say, I build shovels and evo complete engines all year long but I haven't built a pan bottom end since I built this same one and that was in 1978. The seal, screws in and it doesn't stop until it is all the way against the bearing. I have the rods in the flywheels, the wheels in the cases and the correct end play on the bearing set. I can back the seal out a little but it is loose in the threads like a nut on a bolt, I would have to ping it for it to stay in that postion. I really don't think that is correct. Any one have any advice on this?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Please clarify:
Is the 'seal' that you refer to the original all-metal retainer,..or is it a modern replacement with a rubber seal counter-bored within it?

The original design tightens down firmly upon the outer race of the bearing, with a spacer upon the shaft to shoulder up against the inner cone. Oil was retained by a reversed-thread 'slinger', and there is no means of an interference.
Therefore I must assume you have an aftermarket seal installed for a belt-drive, and its lip protrudes inward to but against the cone, and causing the drag.
The fault would most likely lie within the design of the aftermarket replacement. Compare the protrusion of the seal lip with the notched inner surface of the retainer. (Set it down on a flat surface and see if it rocks upon the seal.) Obviously, it should not extend beyond it.

The retainer normally bottoms out nearly perfectly flush with the edge of the cast-in housing. If it screws in below that, then probably the retainer is too damn short.
crypto

Thanks Cotten

Post by crypto »

Thanks for the input, I think after reading your post that I have the incorrect seal, even though it screws in I believe it is wrong. You said mine may point inward towards the inner race and it does. Something else you said that rung a bell, shouldn't the retainer have notches all the way around the retainer, mine doesn't have those. I think you have hit it on the head. Thanks I will get the books out and see if I can get one like the original.

crypto

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”