Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Case sealer

Post by PanPal »

I'm working on a seeping stud on my transmission. I had a pancake size puddle every morning when this started and found the threads had pulled on one stud. I installed an over sized stud. It seems they make these studs with an interference fit into a standard tapped hole. This stud had a 7/16-14 thread into the case side. Then I put 10W30 oil in it and left it sit overnight. This bad leak was repaired, but I got some seepage from another stud. This stud had been over sized in the past. It has a 1/2-20 thread into the case but screwed in easily by hand. So I used loctite and reinstalled the stud. The next morning I still had seepage, so I put some Yamabond around the stud and checked again. The Yamabond bubbled in 2 places around the stud pointing out the exact leak point. So I cleaned off the Yamabond and peened the 2 small areas around the stud closed. This morning I had no seepage, but I know I am only sealing it on the outside. I removed the ratchet top and my speedometer drive so I can see the stud from inside now. This area of the case was welded during the restoration and is porous around the threads. I want to put some sealer on the inside in this area and was thinking since I will have cases coming back from Headhog in the near future and will need to paint the insides, I should use this for my internal patch also. What is the stuff used to paint the inside of the cases? Where can I find it? Does anyone have other suggestions for painting or sealing from the inside?
Kuda
Bikes: *

Re: Case sealer

Post by Kuda »

I've always used Glyptal (sp?) Red as a porous case sealer. Couple of coats on *surgically* clean cases, usually right out of a hot tank (or in your case back from Don), should do the trick...

-Kuda
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Where can I get Glyptal? Any idea if POR 15 tank sealer sticks to Aluminum? I only want to coat the corner, less than 1 square inch. I should be able to clean this small of an area enough for something to stick. I know I won't be able to get all the oils out of the casting.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Glyptal = Eastwood
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I used baked-on Glyptal in motorcases for decades, but stopped when I found that modern fuels will lift it.
An absolute petcock is essential to prevent fuel from drooling into the motor when parked on a jiffystand.

....Cotten
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Post by VPH-D on Oct 5, 2006, 5:48pm

You might try Gasoila, which was used to seal crankcases and trans cases for a long time. Don't know how well it holds up to modern fuels, however.
VPH-D
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

No worry about the fuels in the transmissions, so where would I pick some up?
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I used to get it at the local Harley dealer. It came in small metal cans about 2 1/2' tall. I think JP sells it, too.
VPH-D

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”