1942 WLA balance factor

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

1942 WLA balance factor

Post by Jack_Hester »

All -

Finally got some time to work on my own projects. Sized, cleaned, and weighed all the flywheel components to my WLA. Put a bobweight on the flywheels and matched them to to the lightest. Bobweight weighed in at 750.5 grams. I am using NOS 0.010" OS pistons. Did some reverse calculating and came up with a balance factor of 44% for these wheels. Just thought I'd post this info for anyone who's curious.

Jack
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: 1942 WLA balance factor

Post by Cotten »

Geez that's low!
But that's in the ballpark of earlier vintage flatties (as per Slocombe: 43%).
But road conditions and riding habits have changed,...I think? (Noteing that 60% is the accepted figure for the last decade or two.)
Thank gawd a v-twin cannot ever really be out of balance!

PS: Maybe I do not understand exactly,...you assembled the wheels and rods, then added weight to the wristpin ends until they balanced, and then calculated...right?
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Cotton -

First I put a bobweight on each flywheel, and added/subtracted weight, until they nulled. There was a slight mismatch from one wheel to the other. So, I balanced the heavy one to match the light one. Only 2 or 3 grams. Then, I went through the normal procedure of weighing all the components, as if doing a normal balance. Then, rather than calculating from a given balance factor (to find the bobweight), I used the weights to reverse calculate the actual factor, from a measured bobweight. This is only reversing the last few steps of the balance procedure for individual wheels. Maybe I haven't confused you too much on my method. I have a small computer program that I wrote to enter all the weights and calculate the bobweight value. I'm inspired to add a selection to it just for calculating the unknown balance factor of flywheels, like I did on this one. The math is simple. Just keeping up with all the data is the kicker.

Jack
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Jack!

I took a peek at your program when you posted it to the WLA yahoo List.
Two or three grams of bobweight difference between wheels seems like a fart in a hailstorm, particularly since the bobweight 'contains' a lot of rotating mass as well.
I can see the benefit of bobbing individual wheels if one must start with some that are raw, or radically drilled previously, but when a re-built set only needs correcting (usually just for peace of mind), using bobs is a lot of extra hassle!
I have back-calculated big-twins and Chiefs, but never a HD45; Have you double-checked your factors after trueing up the crank assembly?
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Cotton -

You know, I almost left it as is, as that amount of difference really means nothing. But, yesterday (Memorial Day), I decided that that was my day to work on my projects. And, I was enjoying the moment. So, I just matched them up, as I had all the time for myself.
I've never attempted to do a combined-wheel balance. Individual wheels are all that I've ever done. The only reason I went to the trouble on mine, is that I wanted to know the balance factor on a 45. Now, I need to try another, just to compare. Otherwise, as these wheels are mates, I would have never gone to the trouble. I have several sets of wheels that I bought, that were not assembled. I will definitely check them against each corresponding mate.
My wheels are unassembled, as I jumped to another project, after getting all the weights written down. Now that I have some ballpark idea of the bobweight used, I will check a couple of other sets. Don't know when that will be, as I'm back on the priority stuff. I'll keep you informed as to my findings.

Cotton -

You have mail, in reference to Flywheel Balancing program update.

Just checked another set of flywheels this afternoon, and they came up with a 50% balance factor. Will check one more set tomorrow evening.

Jack

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”