Specialty tools

I am wondering which specialty tools are a "must get"

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Snake33
Inactive member

Specialty tools

Post by Snake33 »

I'm getting ready to do a complete rebuild on my '65, see "Cases Exploded" thread for details why. I am wondering which specialty tools are a "must get" for this job and which ones I can get by without. I don't weld and don't have a lathe. I want to do as much of the work as possible, but I also know my limitations and will farm out anything that requires extraordinary skill or expertise.
Snake
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Specialty tools

Post by Jack_Hester »

Snake -

I'll start it off. You'll need a means to press the flywheels out of the left case. Some shops use a puller that attaches to the primary bolt holes. If the holes are questionable, don't go this route. Get them fixed with the case repair. Your's are probably ok.
Being that you don't have a lathe, you may not have a flywheel truing stand. This will be needed to get everything 'square' when the wheels are assembled.
You will need a means to lap the new rod races to size. That is assuming that you find a good used set to build from. If you buy a new set, they will probably come with the new crankpin and rollers, and be sized correctly.
I'll let some others step in and include some other things that you will need.

Jack
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Believe me, there will always be one more tool you will need!
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello, yes, ...... tools good....... ,tools good...........
mbskeam
now if only the unamed one would think this way.
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

You might consider stroker flywheels. I bought a set of "Torque Monsters" from Truett & Osborne. The flywheels came assembled and balanced and have H-beam rods. The cost is about the same as replacement flywheels. The motor ends up at 84" with stock bore.
Snake33
Inactive member

Post by Snake33 »

57stroker,
That brings up a good point. Is it all that important to try and keep the internals OEM or NOS? Or is it better to upgrade things like rods/flywheels/pistons etc. while keeping the rest of the bike original?
Snake
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Snake -

I personally like to keep old stuff uncut. So, you can do stroker mods, as a bolt-on, as long as it's not a huge jump in stroke. The setup that 57Stroker spoke of should fit right in, taking the place of the stock stuff, with maybe some minor clearancing. Save all the old, like the wheels and shafts. Allows you to take it back stock, if the notion hits you. You may try a different cam, but the stroker setup will run just fine on your stock cam. The choice is yours on the wheels. I haven't bought any aftermarket wheels in a while, so I don't have a clue as to what the stroker package will cost.

Jack
57stroker
Inactive member

Post by 57stroker »

Once it is done, the only one that will know is you (unless the smile on your face gives you away!) The clearencing procedure is outlined here: http://www.sscycle.com/technical/pdfs/E ... 1-1018.pdf (You need acrobat reader to view it.) The breather valve mods are probably worth reading thru, even if you don't decide to go the stroker route. The main reason I did it was I couldn't find anyone locally that I could trust to balance my flywheels.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I personally like to keep the outside looking correct,
But the insides are another story. I stroked my old 63 with S&S 4 5/8" wheels & although they come already set-up.
I always "check" their trueness". As the shippers seem to love to handle most anything rough. I wouldn't just open the box & install w/out first checking for peace of mind & wallet. S&S, T&O, & many reputable others are making parts out of better materials & held to tighter tolerances. Nothing pulls like a Stroker!!
But you have to decide what you want.
Stroking a Pan is relatively simple & the price is reasonable .
Doing a Flatty is a bit more pricey as you need custom-made pistons. The T&O wheels are reasonable though.
But you get out what you put-in.... ;)
57stroker
Inactive member

Post by 57stroker »

Good point, Billy! I spun mine in a lathe. (Couldn't help "playing" with them.) Within a 1/2 thou everywhere. MUCH closer than the so-called engine balancer got my stock ones.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”