Cracked case repair: can this crack be safely welded

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
shsj
Inactive member

Cracked case repair: can this crack be safely welded

Post by shsj »

Hi, I'm really into shovels (have two and a sporty) but I just discovered this fantastic board. I recently got a good deal on a set of 49 EL pan cases. They are cracked from the timing hole back to the farthest rear bolt hole. Can this crack be safely welded? The guy that sold me them said no and that's why he sold them to me cheap. I've seen some pretty amazing things done with cases, but this is a pretty long crack. I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how.

thanks!
shsj
sleeper

Re: Cracked case repair

Post by sleeper »

shsj-

I would guess if it can be fixed, Head Hog Sullivan could make them like new..

He's a member here, but is a busy guy. There was a set of cases that grenaded & blew out the bottom. He made them like brand new..

You could likely find this repair, & maybe still the pics in the Panhead catgory...IIRC..

my 2 cents..
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Listen to Billy. Don fixed a 40's vintage tranny case for me. I specified that it was not for a restoration, and that I didn't mind the repairs showing. It was less expensive that way, as his repairs are such that you will be hard pressed to find them, otherwise. My tranny case (4-speed) is for an upcoming 45 performance project, and looks are not an issue. The quality of the the work on the case is unmatched. It had cracks everywhere, from some previous life. Apparently, it had grenaded, and was later discarded. I save such stuff for my own projects, as once it's repaired, it's once again a quality original.

Jack
shsj
Inactive member

Post by shsj »

Cases showed up today in the little brown truck, clean title and all. The crack also extends on from the front side of the timing plug up through the middle of the front cylinder spigot, and the top of the case is actually lifted a few thou., you can feel it when you run your finger along the deck.

Anyway, I can't help but think they could be welded, decked and the top case bolt holes reamed to get this pan alive again. I'm psyched. I've been checking out the pictures on the gallery here and man, you guys really do great things with these old bikes!!!

Jack, could you possibly send over Don "Head Hog" Sullivan's contact info so I can contact him? (I looked for him here but couldn't find him).

THANKS!!!
shsj
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

shsj-

http://www.headhog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a 'blown' case, w/Before & After :o

http://www.headhog.com/before-after.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shsj
Inactive member

Post by shsj »

got it. I sent over an email to Don, hopefully he can do something for me.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

shsj-

Best part is if you have Good title & cases get repaired you have "Genuine HD, not a "Blue Tag Special"

Which (no offense to anyone) Real Deal is worth much more than aftermarket.......
shsj
Inactive member

Post by shsj »

ah yes... after a couple of emails this morning I was on the phone with Don. He took me to school on these repairs, I'm sending them off tommorrow to begin their new life. This pan will live another day.

looks like I'll be hanging around here for a while...

now all I need is a good set of heads and jugs, some flywheels, a good frame, some sheetmetal, a trans, and one of those police solo seats and some leather bags... anybody here got any of this stuff????
kell

Post by kell »

I got 1950 heads.
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Post by 03Roadking »

I went and looked at the before and after pic's This guy is amazing that is one heck of a job ;) :o
shsj
Inactive member

Post by shsj »

Send the details and some pictures to my email of the heads, and a price.
Holtvintage
Bikes: 1951 servi, 82 FLH, 2011 FLHR,

Re: Cracked case repair: can this crack be safely welded

Post by Holtvintage »

Is head hog still doing repairs? And recommendations on someone that can weld on cases?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Head Hog is no more, Don passed on a couple years back.
Try Phil at Knuckleworks.
Holtvintage
Bikes: 1951 servi, 82 FLH, 2011 FLHR,

Post by Holtvintage »

Ok. Thanks for the lead. I took some pictures and emailed them to Darkhorse in WI . Waiting on a reply. Also send them to Truetts. I just sent the pictures to Knuckle Works. Their website says "Any problem tou have". So that sounds promising

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”