Connecting rods

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Connecting rods

Post by Jack_Hester »

I'm not able to spend a great deal of time on the computer these days, as I'm trying to finish up and purge the remaining jobs in the shop, by New Year's. Then, I can start building on some of my old stuff, along with some of my friends machines.

I commissioned Carrillo to make me a set of 45" rods for my upcoming 45 racer. I don't expect much in the way of speed or power out of the little engine. Just a lot of fun. Plus, we're training a young man (he's 15, at present) to take the helm of the machine. When we've got all that we can out of it, hopefully the big Shovelhead under the bench (built it back in the mid-70's for Bonneville) will be in a frame, and he can move on with it. My buddy and his son are driving 3+ hours to help me purge things. Then, aid in the build of the racer, starting sometime in the first quarter of next year. Us old guys will take over the 45 duties, when the Shovel is ready.

Here are some pictures of the rods, made for the build:

By the way. They weigh in at near stock specs. So, they are suitable as a stock replacement. I would still run a balance on the flywheel assembly, to make sure it is at OEM spec. Usually around 50% balance factor. I will use this factor when I build the race engine, as it will make for a snappy response to the throttle.

Jack
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Connecting rods

Post by Cotten »

Jack!
I have been installing Carrillos in Chiefs lately, but never thought to compare their total weight to originals, as the flywheels are all T&Os and balancing was a "given" anyway.
It surprises me that they would approximate originals, as such beef seems like it should weigh much more. Did you compare them before installing bushings and races, or after?

....Cotten
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Connecting rods

Post by Jack_Hester »

Cotten -

The weight provided by Carrillo is without bushings/races. The OEM weights that I compared them to are those with bushings/races, and are slightly heavier. When I get the time, I will install bushings/races in both sets, and publish the findings. These rods took a really long time to make, though I didn't care as I'm nowhere close to building the engine. Actually, this is the second set, as they didn't like the way the first turned out. I'm also thinking that they purposely made them close to OEM weight. More to come.

Jack

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”