Cases question

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
MadJack

Cases question

Post by MadJack »

Howdy!!! My name's Jack, and I build hot rods. I've recently gotten back into bikes, and have decided to build a "traditional" style bobber. You know the kind: wishbone rigid, stock length springer, bobbed rear fender, no front fender, suicide, kick only, etc. There are a few styling details that I haven't decided on yet (bars, tanks, color), but all that will work itself out.
I figured that the best place to start with the new construction would be with the motor. My question has to do with case years and oiling. I have a set of 1950 heads that are in great shape. I plan on using new aftermarket barrels and cases, as well as all internals. The barrels aren't an issue; it seems like everywhere I look there are deals on piston-pin-ring-barrel combos. The real question is cases. I'm interested in STD cases. They're reasonably priced, they look good, and STD is close to my home, so I could go and get them. The thing is that every set of cases I look at are for '54 and later pans. What is the difference, exactly? I have a reprinted manual, and have looked at the oiling diagram, and can't see much of a difference between the early model motors and the later models.

Thanks in advance!!

Jack Jackson
Culver City, CA
Ente

Re: Cases question

Post by Ente »

Hi.
Mostly changes in fact take placed year 1955,
(besides the major change of the splined sprocket-shaft, and it's bigger Timken-bearings)
the way the return-oil get back to the crankcase is different. Before 55 the return-channel goes from the top to the bottom inside the cylinderwall and via a milled channel in the case, but later cylinders (55-) has the lower-end of return-channel 1 5/32" from the bottom of the cylinder out direct into the bore, and the pistons help a little to drain the oil. After 63 the feed-oil become external...
The best source ever is a book called 'What fits what'
by Mike Arman & Kurt Heinrichs...
You cant live... or ride a pre-evo, without it...
MadJack

Post by MadJack »

Thanks for the reply!! The book is a special order through Amazon, so I've ordered it.
Can early barrels and heads be "made" compatible with later style cases?
FLO Headworks has a bunch of options for the Panhead, including external oiling. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and send them my heads..
Ente

Post by Ente »

If you want to go external...
OIL-FEED.....you just can leave the old barrel as it is... BUT plug the feed-hole in your heads (two oilfeed-system is one too many). And let someone fix the oil-feed-nipples in your case and heads... (You can take the feed from the oil-pressure-hole)
Regarding the OIL-RETURN, the late (55-) case has no milled channel towards the cylinderbase... So a -55 barrel on a 55- case will have no return !.....so you have to drill the hole I mentioned before.....

See THE BOOK for thoose details...
MadJack

Post by MadJack »

Thanks, Ente, for all your help thus far. Luckily, this project isn't going to have to "be done" any time soon, so I can wait for the book to arrive. It's kind of a back burner deal, for which I'll be collecting parts whenever time and money allow.
This is what I get for starting with a Softail when I was 19 years lod, when I really wanted a Pan!!
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Make sure the STD cases have a relay boss on the case to mount the relay and/or timer control cable bracket if you're using a manual timer. The STD cases I bought in '90 didn't have the relay boss cast, but now I think they do. The cases don't have a 1 degree chamfer on every hole, hole edges were a little rough back then. Mechanics liked working with S&S cases because they came ready to go right out of the box. V-Twin makes cases now too, several, there's 10-1016 for '48-'54 roller, 10-1506 for 53-'54 roller, and then 10-1031 for 56-'57 Timken, and 10-1015 for 58-62 Timken. V-Twin has gone replica nuts. All these are good for stock 61 & 74". Going big inch? Go STD or S&S, but don't let anyone build your motor that doesn't build Pan motors every single day of their life. Stett @ http://www.stettsironhorseranch.com/ in El Cajon does Pans right, Accurate Engineering, Dothan, Alabama (334)702-1993 does them right (i.e. line bore and hone the cases).

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”