Rod Play

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
57 Pan

Rod Play

Post by 57 Pan »

With the rods in the highest position (this is my understanding of how to measure side to side play) there is 1/16 to 3/32 of movement when measuring at the top of the case. The motor had low compression and the pistons had wear on the skirts. It would be nice to install new pistons and rings and bore the cylinders and slap it back together. What do you guys think?
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Rod Play

Post by Jack_Hester »

With the rods in any position, you will be measuring at the wristpin end of the rod. Max of 3/32". What you are describing is the side to side clearance between the big end (crankpin end) and the flywheels. I build those to 0.010" clearance. But, have seen them run just fine with much greater, as the rods tend to center themselves when running. If you want to measure from the same point on the deck, rotate your wheels to get a rod at it's lowest point. Then, measure the side to side play of the wristpin end. If more than 3/32" (0.09375"), rebuild it.

Jack
57 Pan

Post by 57 Pan »

Thanks Jack, That answers my question...I wish I new of someone trustworthy in Washington State to do a rebuild. If anyone has a good solid lead in the area please let me know.

Thank you,
James
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

were are you at?
custom cycle at 425-487-2783

this place does it all.......

mbskeam
57 Pan

Post by 57 Pan »

I'm in Renton, Have you done business with this shop?
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

I'm in Sammamish (near Issaquah and Redmond)...I have a reputable builder who used to be Dave Demartinin's mechanic...Gene Covert at Bad As Choppers in Preston just off I-90 heading to Spokane....he's about 8 miles West of Issaquah and right on the I-90 exit in Preston...call if you need any verbal references on him..Jim @ (425) 765-8204.
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

Yes, I've done alot of business with Gene Covert over at Bad As Choppers in Preston...he built me a 81-83ci Shovelhead ( I say 81-83ci because there was some head shaving required due to metal memory on the stock heads as they mated to the newly installed S&S cylinders!) and we went right thru that lower end....THIS BIKE IS SO MUCH MORE than it was before the rebuild!!!). Gene's a perfectionist who rides a "high performanced" 93ci 1949 Panhead in the original '49 wishbone frame (motor has Delkron cases!!) and you gotta' see & hear this bike run. Gene will do it right...I'm very satisfied with his work...but as Mike Beam recommended...there are a couple of guys over here in the Fall City to Monroe area who have been doing this stuff for quite a few years..we guys in the "valley", that is the valley of the Cascades...are lucky to have such knowledgeable wrenchs here.....

Gene Covert, Bad As Choppers (206)419-7571..tell him Jim Franco turned you on to his shop and get him to commit to a time frame on completing the job! Good luck...Call me if you want to meet up on a weekend day to go over...I'll give you an intro.
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

yes I have....
Bob gage, and Ron fox

1950bobber ......

hey do ya know "my mechanic can out wrench your mechanic".....LOL(joke)

mbskeam
57 Pan

Post by 57 Pan »

Thanks for all the great info Guys, Complere rebuilds are so expensive I need to tally my coins and get some pricing but thats easy enough. I go to the Swap meet every year. I won't be on the pan this year though obviously. Looks like I'll have to take the Shovel.

James

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”