sprocket shaft seal

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

sprocket shaft seal

Post by panfreak »

I have a '58 (splined shaft) and the seal will not. I have tried buggering with spacing and new seals to no avail. It wouldn't be such a nuisance if I was running a chain drive... can anyone offer up a suggestion?
Thanks.
wreck74
Inactive member

bearing locknut

Post by wreck74 »

if you changed the bearing locknut (seal) and the sprocket shaft spacer and it still leaks, it may be your sprocket shaft is bent or loose. it's not wobbleing is it ?
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: sprocket shaft seal

Post by 57pan »

panfreak wrote:I have a '58 (splined shaft) and the seal will not. I have tried buggering with spacing and new seals to no avail. It wouldn't be such a nuisance if I was running a chain drive... can anyone offer up a suggestion?
Thanks.
Are you talking about the motor sprocket shaft?

I'm assuming that you have replaced the stock "slinger" with an aftermarket seal... right?

Are you sure that the bearing retainer/seal is threading into the case far enough so that the seal lip is actually sealing on the spacer?? When I installed mine I found that the bearing retainer/seal was about two threads longer than stock so the seal wasn't completely on the spacer. I had to machine some off the bearing retainer surface so that it would thread into the case a little deeper.

Here is a link showing what I did.
http://www.57panhead.com/ProgRept2-2.htm
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Dave,
You may be onto something... your picture made some sense. What I have appears to be the slinger you referred to (on the right) with a seal pressed into it. The seal has two skirts or lips, and slips over a sleeve which provides the spacing between pulley and bearing. I have made sure that the seal is pressed in enough so that it is centered on the sleeve when the slinger is threaded into place, and I have screwed around with everything from different seals with single lip, to shorter/ longer sleeves to no avail. Sorry for the terminology, I hope I'm making sense. Your picture on the left shows the reverse threaded collar with an integral seal, I wonder if this is my problem all along as it appears now that the oil may be leaking between my threaded collar inside edge and the pressed in edge of the seal as opposed to the lips themselves where they slide over the sleeve. I don't know if this is clear....
It sounds like I have been trying to retro fit a seal into a slinger where there is already an aftermarket upgrade for people like us who run modern belts in old machines :oops: I am going to search suppliers catalogues for a part number tommorrow, I'll bet this has been my problem all along. I'll keep you posted, thanks for the pictures.
Len.
A student of the old iron ways.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”