Flywheel assembly

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
pan57
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Flywheel assembly

Post by pan57 »

Description: Hey guys looking for some advice on authenticity

Hey guys looking for some advice on authenticity, I have my cases apart and the flywheel assembly is all beat to hell the only thing that looks salvageable is the flywheels themselves. What would be the advantage of rebuilding the assembly vs ordering a new assembly already balanced and trued, other than the cost differences.
1950bobber

Re: Flywheel assembly

Post by 1950bobber »

The only advantage I could personally extract IS authenticity...but then again, those old flywheels are STILL authentic lying on your shelf as you consider re-installing a GREAT set of Truett & Osborn flywheels! But in the end, it will be your decision. Once a set of cases are apart, I like to fill them back up with upgraded, new parts, and then riding a refreshed, great running, longer lasting motorcycle...Money being the limiting factor, of course!

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Flywheel assembly

Post by Jack_Hester »

If you are satisfied with your flywheels, and your rods don't appear to be battered or dinged, I recommend new shafts and rebuild the rods. New races and wristpin bushings can be installed, and the rods can be rebuilt to new OEM specs. New shafts are not that expensive. Of course, you need to line-lap your main bearing races to clean them up for new rollers. I'm guessing that you will be installing new pistons on this rebuild. It's not that much extra time to reverse calculate the component weights, to check the balance factor of the new build. If it falls within specs, then you are good to go. If not, it's still not that much extra time to balance the assembly to OEM specs. All of this saves considerable money over a whole assembly. Don't get me wrong. I LIKE T&O flywheels. But, it's too hard for me to spend that money, when the OEM wheels are in good shape.

Jack

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”