Hyd. tappets

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
talldrifter
Bikes: Aftermarket Panhead in Shovel frame, 1978 XLCR Sporty in disguise

Hyd. tappets

Post by talldrifter »

I've been doing some reading and wondering. When my replica pan motor was rebuilt around 2000, the shop put in an Andrews #6 cam and Jim's HydroSolid lifters. The miles aren't very high on it yet but eventually will be replacing the lifter wheels and bearings. I don't see those lifters advertised much and the replacement wheels may be hard to find and or expensive. There used to be a Sifton 112 Cobra cam with Sifton solid lifters in there, seemed to work alright, but that was before the 1948 (stamped?) left case cracked badly. A previous owner had hogged it out for 88 inches. I replaced the cases with S&S since a lot of the engine was already S&S, that is when the cam and lifters were changed.

I'm wondering if you more experienced engine people have any thoughts about possible future problems with these components and if so any recommendations? tia

Warren
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Hyd. tappets

Post by 58flh »

Warren---I bet she runs nice!--If those lifters are working /Wheels are EASY to get.I replace my wheels every 18 or 20K or Every 2-yrs.,I have been using JIMS WHEELS with stock AXLE not the BIG AXLE-(Big AXLE dont work right with HYD.-tappets anyway.I run Solid tappets,& never had an ISSUE WITH JIMS Replacements.----Respectfully--RICHIE
ingram
Bikes: 1998 Fat Boy
2000 Road King
2007 Hayabusa

Post by ingram »

The Jims Hydrosolid lifters are a performance racing lifter. Be sure to follow the instructions when adjusting them. They are not adjusted the same as a standard hydraulic lifter. I would not recommend them for a street application. In my experience, they are noisy even after being adjusted correctly.
talldrifter
Bikes: Aftermarket Panhead in Shovel frame, 1978 XLCR Sporty in disguise

Post by talldrifter »

Oh woe is me! :?

Thank you 58flh and ingram for your help. The enhancements were recommended and made by the shop it was in at the time, I was busy driving around the country trying to make enough money to pay the bills on the money pit. Basically I didn't know enough and allowed others to make the choices. My bad. I have read that the big axle tappets are not favored. Since the shop kept all instructions I just went to Jim's website to get some. Apparently the HydroSolid tappets feature the big axle and "the big axle tappet rollers cannot be rebuilt". There is only about 9 k miles on them now, so they should be alright for awhile. Time to start saving for their replacements if I understand the situation correctly.

Warren
ingram
Bikes: 1998 Fat Boy
2000 Road King
2007 Hayabusa

Post by ingram »

You should be fine. If you already have 9000 miles on the engine and you're not complaining about valve train noise, there is no need to replace them. With good maintenance, it will be a long time before the rollers wear out. Just ride the bike and enjoy. :)

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”