Panhead '49: belly seam begin to leak oil

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
gosilver
Bikes: FL 74 c.i. 1949

Panhead '49: belly seam begin to leak oil

Post by gosilver »

Goodmorning everyone,
to return from vacation, after a few weeks of inactivity, I found the nut and the locking pin of the crankcase facing a drop of oil (namely , the side stand , height footboard , lower front part ) . I noticed that oil also came from the protection of the belly (being tilted on the stand ) . I disassembled and seen leaking from the seam of the crankcase . I tried to tighten the pins joining (ruining however one) although I'm not convinced it can be caused by a bad tightness . I read somewhere that , because of a process that I have not understood , when not used for what may happen . But there are ( without having to take down all) remedies , even temporary ? Do you have suggestions about what I would possibly look better? thank you very much for your kind and kind cooperation !
I think there is no way to use paste sealants from outside...correct?
Angelo
Casaba
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 2014 triumph tiger explorer
1976 FXE 93" stroker
1953 FL
1960 FL
1958 45” frankenbike

Re: Panhead '49: belly seam begin to leak oil

Post by Casaba »

Oil could be running from many locations, the key would be to locate where is really seeped from. I don't think you will find any sealers to be used on the outside of the cases and over tightening fasteners is potential to destroy your engine.

Sumping of oil into the crankcase from not running the engine for a period of time can happen, it shouldn't be leaking out unless it is through the mainshaft seal into your primary. Did you check in the primary and see if there was a lot of oil in there?

There is a lot of info in the KB on oil sumping and causes as well as possible remedies

Good luck
gosilver
Bikes: FL 74 c.i. 1949

Post by gosilver »

Casaba, I disassembled the primary cover. Internally, only a small amount of oil from the transmission ( licking "normally" ) . Cleaning the belly, after a couple of hours you could see the beginning of the appearance of the oil from the seam.
I read about oil sumping...but I'm talking of an amount of two tea spoon of oil present in the shield under the belly. The provenience is for sure from the line of crankcase union.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

The right side engine case has a small allen screw around the area where the front exhaust goes into the squish pipe. Tough to see.
I think it is a drilling for an oil passage, not sure. Clean everything real good with brake klean and recheck.
A leak from that screw / plug will roll to the left side (kickstand) and accumulate on the engine shield. May look like the
case seam is leaking. Check it out.

Cheers,
Jim M
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

If its not the oil passage JAMES is speaking of,---Pretty much anything you do will be a BANDAID FIX!.///Wipe the seam between where you think its leaking & see how bad it really is./I have seen bikes leak some at the seam(bottom-seam)-After sitting all winter!.Sometimes you just have to run the motor to full operating temp & it will stop leaking!.-(I know it sounds weird ,but my buddies shovel-(cone)-does it every year!/a 1974 I believe.)He tops it off & goes out for a few hrs. & no more drip.Is this mill a fresh rebuild ,or is she broken-in & ready to roll???--Reason I ask is when I check the case-mating /Sometimes you have to LAP them for a nice TIGHT fit!.I use (YAMABOND) For sealing-It has worked well for me ,so why change now.However there are other good sealers guys use on the seam before bolting-up./Try wiping & see how long it takes to fill a shotglass.Ofcourse the bike must be up straight.If it takes all night/I bet a good topping off & a few hrs. ride will seal her up.Another thing to check is the Evil bottom drain case-plug.If it hits the frame ITS going to leak!--(there best left Alone).If it is the case drain/Be real careful when tightening it!-(You really should loosen the motor & lift it some to get a good grab on it.But there usually rare to start leaking anyway.---Just my 2---Respectfully---Richie

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”