Post by restless »

Hi any one here use the roller rockers.
Thanks Bill
panhead george
Bikes: "48 panhead,"06 streetglide,
"97 sportster

Re: Rockers

Post by panhead george »

Looking thru some older unanswered posts and yes, I have them in my '48 Pan. Had a friend who makes them up and all has been good for 7 years now. I feel the only thing they will help with is reducing valve guide wear as the valve is not being pushed into the side of the guide as hard as the friction at the valve stem and rocker contact point is reduced by the roller being able to roll rather than slip or drag against the top of the stem when the valve is depressed. Can't say they will reinvent the world as we know it but every little bit helps in my opinion. With the quality of the oil, valves and guides now days though I would think standard rockers would outlive the top end anyways. Just my 2 cents
rrhawg
Bikes: 59 Pan, 65 Pan, 45 Wl, 46 UL, 41 Chief, 48 Chief, 50 Chief, 53 Hummer, 53 Simplex, and misc. others

Post by rrhawg »

I've used Baisley's roller rockers on several motors and I believe they are more than worth the money. It helps keep everything up there working smoother and it puts less stress on the guides and stems there by making a valve job last longer.
Rich
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I've got a set of Crane roller rockers on my shovel. Much better than stock, for reasons given.
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

My personal opinion is that at stock or close to stock valve lifts you won't see much benefit from roller rockers. If you are running a high lift cam, roller rockers start looking like a better idea. I would say it depends on the other motor components and what your plans for the motor are. Are you building a drag strip bike?

Geo.
panmarkski
Bikes: 1979 XLS
2007FLHX
1961 FLH

Post by panmarkski »

Had Dan Baisley make me a set. Love em.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Roller Rockers are great to run in a PAN!---Especially when you have aftermarket heads & good & Hi-lift cams!,They totally are a nessesity!,-on a stock 74 pan with factory cam-lifts I really don't see the purpose!--I mean These motors have been running stock-arms for decades!,& They will go for a few more decades As long as the builder can arc them properly!---Rollers on a stock motor???--I see no harm in it!-AS LONG they are QUALITY ROCKERARMS!,-using them would def. help in Guide WEAR!,But all that for guide wear,When originals have been doing a great job of it all along!.---I like Rollers ,In a correct type of motor that REQUIRES rollers!,& afterall Everybody has their reasoning for doing what they do!--Have fun with it!,,Without fun you might as well go to work 40hrs. a week & be miserable to! :lol: --Respectfully---RICHIE 8)
olpanrider
Bikes: 1950 FLH
1962 FLH
1999 FLHTCUI

Post by olpanrider »

lower than .550 lift standard arms will work fine rollers are optional. .550-up lift rollers should be used. got Baisley rollers in my 1950 for about 20 yrs now. just made a set of custom blocks fitted with rollers for a man from Michigan recently.

old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

olpanrider,
Are your new roller arms welded to original stock type rocker arms? Those are some very solid looking bearing blocks!

Geo.
olpanrider
1962 FLH
1999 FLHTCUI

Post by olpanrider »

The rocker arms are done by Baisley by welding on new conversion arms on your existing rocker arm. then i fit them to my blocks that are made from C-954 Bronze and G-2 cast iron. i am as i type boring a set right now then the next set will have 7075 aluminum lower with bronze upper. on my 62 i lowered the block by .075 to tilt the pushrod end down to correct geometry with a high lift cam and it also helps to clear the pan cover so the pushrods don't poke holes in the pans. I also cut the bottom for a o-ring to seal the oil passage or i can leave it out for evo oiling through the pushrods(requires evo cam and lifters)
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

It would be difficult for me to hide those under the tins.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

OLDPANRIDER---Very nice job on the Rockers!--They look like something I would be interested in on a 49-stroker project that's somehow starting to get more & more parts for.-----RICHIE 8)
olpanrider
1962 FLH
1999 FLHTCUI

Post by olpanrider »

58flh wrote:OLDPANRIDER---Very nice job on the Rockers!--They look like something I would be interested in on a 49-stroker project that's somehow starting to get more & more parts for.-----RICHIE 8)
got 2 sets of blocks sitting on the bench. if interested pm me.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”