RHS Crankcase on Panheads

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
spinner
Bikes: 58/55 Mongrel Pan

RHS Crankcase on Panheads

Post by spinner »

Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between RHS cases pre-58 pls?
I have a CE generator and it measures 1.81" across the bearing boss.
The hole in my RHS case is 1.95".
I thought the gen was supposed to fit snug into that hole (for 58 and later).
I have a 1958 LHS case, but I have no idea what the RHS case is........
Could it be that someone has fit an earlier model RHS case to this before I bought it?
Any advise really appreciated.
Many thanks and kind regards,
Spinner

RHS Belly # 155-2284
LHS Belly # 157-8722
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: RHS Crankcase on Panheads

Post by Panacea »

Hi Spinner, I'm no expert but I would guess your right side to be a 56 with the belly number 155-2284. According to Palmers, the only changes from 55 to 58 were a bigger right main race, the generator bolt holes were enlarged to 5/16, the generator strap was eliminated and the cams bronze bushing was changed to a needle bearing and the top of the rear motor mount area was milled for the two unit voltage regulator. So I looks like the hole size stayed the same...Mike
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Spinner, I have no personal experience with a CE generator.

You say you have a 1958 left case but if its 57 BN is 8722 then that seems a bit high to me, even allowing for recorded Harley production figures to be inaccurate and also allowing for the possibility of some early-58 models to have late-57 BNs. Can you confirm that your 57 BN was stamped at the factory? What range is your 58 serial number in and do you know if it was stamped at the factory?

You say you have no idea what the right-hand case is. If your right-hand BN is 155-2284 then I’d suggest the case would be a 55 model because BNs for 1955 started at 1000 so 2284 is a fairly low production sequence number. But was the 55 BN stamped at the factory? Can you post photos of all your numbers please. But cover some of the sequence characters in the serial number if you wish.
Eric
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

SPINNER---I just meas. my genny & Its 1.811,-its a 58flh that its going into!,--You should have no problems running the genny in a earlier case, I have had my genny in earlier pan-cases-(a loner)-to make it to some run I wasent going to.--the case that the genny was in was a 51-left-Original cases.--Also It was in my wifes sportser many moons ago!.---your bolts will determin how much the gears mesh!--there is a little-play in it by twisting-genny left to right.---If you get a whine you can take-advantage of this little bit of movement in the genny.Also adding another gasket helps with gear-whine!---All gennys fit loose in the case!--I dont mean the hole in the case to be .125 bigger!--but they fit with a few thous. difference.---Respectfully---RICHIE 8)I MEANT RIGHTSIDE CASE :oops:
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Spinner!

The 'standard' CE generator is a direct copy of the original 2-brush models.
(End-mount CE models differ on the other end.)

I have installed many, in many years of cases, without issue.
A '55 on my bench measures 1 31/32", which corresponds to the oilshield on earlier generators.. A '65 measures 1 13/16", but there was no need for shimming to adjust the gearmesh.

Either way, it is the gasket that makes the seal.

If your right case has already had the bolt holes wallowed out to 5/16", beware that they may no longer match the generator's hole spacing.
If your right case still has 1/4" holes, please leave them alone, and install 1/4"-24 helicoils into the existing holes upon the generator instead.

Good luck!

....Cotten
spinner

Post by spinner »

Thanks Guys,
Here is a couple of pics as requested.
Gen is 13 Tooth.
Holes in Gen and Case are both 5/16"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Looks like your missing the slinger or did you just mock-it up quick for a pic.?--13 tooth is for sportster,-14-is for Big-twin. However you can run the 13 but if your whine is loud as hell, change to the 14 & use the cover over the bering!---RICHIE
Speeding Big Twin

Spinner, thanks for the photos. I don’t think your SN was stamped at the factory. Compare your 5s and 1 with the four pictures below. All these four SNs appear to be factory stampings and all the characters, including the characters I blacked out, are the usual types for 1958 Pan SNs:

Part of your left BN isn't very clear but I can’t see anything obviously wrong with the characters. It’s the highest 57 Pan BN I’ve seen by far but your SN is very low, given that SNs for 1958 models began at 1001, so that would seem to make some sense even though your SN doesn’t look like it was stamped at the factory.

I can’t see anything wrong with your right-hand BN so I’ll stay with my earlier opinion that it’s a 55 model right-hand case. It’s obviously a pre-58 case because it has provision for a generator strap. If the generator bolt holes in the case are 5/16” then they’ve been drilled by someone other than H-D because originally they would have been 1/4”. And it looks like the boss for the relay bracket has been removed.

Have a look on the top of each case half near where the rear engine mounting bolts go. I'm thinking there'll be a sans serif 7 stamped on the top of the right-hand case. But is there anything stamped on the left case in that area?
Eric
spinner

Post by spinner »

Hi again Eric,
The top of the Left case appears to have "H" stamped in it.
That is about all I can see there.
Thanks again,
Spinner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speeding Big Twin

I can’t see anything wrong with the H. It appears to be a sans serif capital and it looks like several examples I have. For Panheads the H indicated an engine was an FLH. But instead of FLH your SN says FL although your SN doesn’t look like it was stamped at the factory. (An FL Panhead wouldn’t originally have an H; instead it may have a 7.)

The H would seem to indicate that the left case was originally intended for use as an FLH. And the H is at least consistent with a 57 BN, given the FLH was first introduced midway through the 55 model year.

I can’t really see anything wrong with your number boss. It has some pitting but I don’t think that’s a problem and the texture of the boss looks about the same as the rest of the case. So at this stage I have to wonder if the left case was a replacement item that never received an FLH SN and somehow it ended up with an FL SN, but not a factory-stamped one.
Eric
spinner

Post by spinner »

Thanks Eric,
The more I see and learn on this, it seems there could have been a possibility that is was originally a 1955 set of cases and the left case was replaced and stamped 58FLxxx (by whoever, for reasons unknown)? The frame has 5G stamped on the RHS of the Upper Engine Mount.
Anyway, we made a collar/insert so the CE Generator will now fit snuggly into the RHS case and match up with the 5/16" bolts/holes. The gear mesh is now good. Need to make a gasket and get hold of a (# 31035-58) Oil Deflector next I guess......

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”