Bottom end Assembly

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
iflybyu
Bikes: 2010 Custom Build
1964 Panhead Basket case

Bottom end Assembly

Post by iflybyu »

Hello all,

I am getting prepared to assemble the bottom end on my 64 pan. Had the flywheel and crank assembly trued and balanced with new crank pin, rods, pinion shaft. I have new timken bearings and races. new cages and an assortment of different sized rollers for the pinion side.

I have the tool for Timken installation, dial indicator and magmetic base and all normal tools. What other specialty tools are required to assemble this bottom end? Of the required tools, what can be made and what must be bought?

Also, has anyone done a write-up or how to on this or just go by what is in the manual?

Thanks

Mike
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Bottom end Assembly

Post by 58flh »

GO by the manual!--But as you know the vale to guide clearences are to much in the older manuals!--If you are using cast-iron valve guides set them at .0015 for the intakes & .002 for the exhaust!. Use james gaskets set & you will have good matierial!--The o-rings for the intake manifold now come in VITON in the JAMES SETS!--(I just purchased 1 thats how I know.) Take your time & do it RIGHT!--Use tourque-wrench on all cyl. & head bolts as well as others & tourque to spec. The (CLYMERS MANUAL)-- DONT USE!!!--JUNK!---In the correct manuals they have tools & part#s Also you can make alot of them yourself if your handy with metal & machine work. There are others on this site that will give you other GREAT OPINIONS! GREAT MECHANICS HERE!---GOOD-LUCK & looking forward to pics. when shes done & up running!---RICHIE 8) --Also there are PICS. of homemade tools for specialty use in the knowledge-base! :!:
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The job would have been much easier had you fitted the pinion bearings previous to the crank being assembled. You can do it assembled, it is just more tedious. And with a new pinion shaft it should have been fitted in conjunction with line honing the case race true with the left side and roller size determined at that time with the shaft available to test for plug fit and running fit. Now that it is all together that option is gone. You will have to fit to the shaft as it sits in the flywheel which can be done with the crank held in a vise with the pinion shaft pointing straight up. You should definitely check the alignment of the right case to the left main bearing!
It is generally best to ask questions before starting on an endeavor like this, not half way through.
Robbie
iflybyu
1964 Panhead Basket case

Post by iflybyu »

RUBONE wrote:The job would have been much easier had you fitted the pinion bearings previous to the crank being assembled. You can do it assembled, it is just more tedious. And with a new pinion shaft it should have been fitted in conjunction with line honing the case race true with the left side and roller size determined at that time with the shaft available to test for plug fit and running fit. Now that it is all together that option is gone. You will have to fit to the shaft as it sits in the flywheel which can be done with the crank held in a vise with the pinion shaft pointing straight up. You should definitely check the alignment of the right case to the left main bearing!
It is generally best to ask questions before starting on an endeavor like this, not half way through.
Robbie
Rubone,

Understood. Now that i am here though I need to figure out the best methodof assembling this thing.

Thanks
Mike
KB65
Bikes: HD Pan - HD Shovel

Post by KB65 »

iflybyu wrote: I am getting prepared to assemble the bottom end on my 64 pan.
Also, has anyone done a write-up or how to on this
I also would be very interested as to the correct procedure to do this with a write up and pictures
This is an example of a Shovel being done that I saved for reference.

http://www.ironcross.net/Pages/Shovelhead_Rebuild.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

There are as many correct ways to assemble as there are motors.

The devil's in the differences.

Recipes will always differ not only because of different tooling at hand,
but by steps overlooked.

The least annoying are those overlooked steps that get in the way of assembly.
Most annoying are those that display themselves after assembly.

....Cotten
iflybyu
1964 Panhead Basket case

Post by iflybyu »

Cotton,

I am trying to avoid the "short-cuts" all together. Trying to learn the right way to do this and the tools i will need to do it right. Not looking forward to buying a lapping setup but it loks like a must have to do this correctly. It may be more cost effective for me to have someone lap the pinion bushing rather than drop the coin for the tool not knowing when i would use it again.

Mike
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

iflybyu wrote:............ It may be more cost effective for me to have someone lap the pinion bushing rather than drop the coin for the tool not knowing when i would use it again.
Mike
And that right there is what keeps your local independant mechanic in business....! :)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

Even lapping is a shortcut if there is a qualified auto machine shop in your region with a decent honing machine..
LINEHONE.jpg
The finish, accuracy, and time involved ($) push a lapp back into the stone age.

Somewhere on this forum I have already posted my setup for later pinions piloted off of the left main

Unfortunately, skilled automotive machine shops have become every bit as scarce as independent motorcycle services.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”