Splitting cases

I would like to gather advice from you who are familiar with the splitting process on how to go about it.

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Splitting cases

Post by King »

Hi All

I got my heads off my 51 FL and determined what ever seized my motor (see previous 'Seized Motor' thread) wasn't in the top end so now I need to look further down.
In the old days when the motor got tired I just sent it off to the man for a rebuild but now I have more time and a fairly well organized shop, so I would like to split my cases and have a look at what caused the problem before sending it off for a rebuild.
I will of course study my manuals, but would like to gather advice from you who are familiar with the splitting process on how to go about it.

Thanks

King
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Splitting cases

Post by Jack_Hester »

King -

May I come see what a well organized shop looks like? Wish I had one. Someday.

If your '51 is an original, you have an easy one to tear down and reassemble. Pull the tappets and blocks, and get them stored away for reworking at some later time. Use two putty knives to remove the gear cover. Sharpen them on one side with a fine cut file. Work them in, near the cover dowel pins, and start working the cover off. No screwdriver dings, here. Will come off nice and clean. Reach in through the tappet block holes and slide the cam back away from the cover, as you work the cover away from the case. Save everything together, as it comes out of the gearcase. Shims with cam. Shim with breather valve. Timer gear and idler gear. You can pull the timer out, before removing the cover. When the gearcase is empty, remove the nuts from the case studs. Drift each out with a flat punch. Three of them are alignment studs, and will be a press fit. One on the very top. And, two on the bottom. The other studs/bolts are screw fit. I am including a couple of drawings to let you see what will be removed, and the rollers that will fall out. Catch and keep spacers/cages/thrust collars with their respective components.

Keep us informed as to what you find, along with conditions of components.

Jack
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Many Thanks Jack

I think my 51 is pretty original as the case #'s match the 'VIN' number so hopefully it will be a fairly straight forward teardown.
By the way my shop is only comparatively well organized and if you could see what I am comparing it to. well let's say it's not worth the trip. But at least I seem to find what I need when I need it most of the time which is a big step up. Of course being an old guy I've learned life goes better when you have two of everything.
Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted on what I find.

King
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

King
Your pinion gear may be a light press fit ,if the shaft has been changed to the newer and I think thats why Jack asked if your motor is org.( 54 type , I think was the year ) and you may need a special puller if it has been changed to the newer shaft . The puller also doubles as an installation tool. I'm sure you can make one if ya need it. You can see the tool ( puller ) in the tool section J P s big book , made by Jim's, Pinion gear puller. Good luck , hope you don't need the tool.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”