Oil lines

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

Oil lines

Post by Mr Mach1 »

I bought some chrome lines for my 49 panhead from an ebay seller. I knew that as I'm running a S&S oil pump the supply and return lines would be too long but the breather should fit. The three lines are from at least two different makers. One had double flares and the other two only single. Is single flare strong enough? What degree is the flare? I've done plenty of flares for my cars but these fittings look a little different. I think I can shorten the supply line and maybe the return too. The lines feel very hard and stiff so I'm wondering how they'll take to the die on my oldskool Imperial Eastman flaring tool. Does anyone know where I can get flexible braided lines? I have a oil filter to install also. All opinions welcome.
VPH-D

Re: Oil lines

Post by VPH-D »

I' ve found the repop chrome oil lines to be very hard to bend. Since you have already purchased the chrome ones, have at it. You can shorten and reflare them, go slowly here, it's not like HVAC copper lines here. Consider angling the feed fitting inward toward the center of the bike, and bending the oil line to meet it.

VPH-D
Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

Post by Mr Mach1 »

VPH-D wrote:I' ve found the repop chrome oil lines to be very hard to bend. Since you have already purchased the chrome ones, have at it. You can shorten and reflare them, go slowly here, it's not like HVAC copper lines here. Consider angling the feed fitting inward toward the center of the bike, and bending the oil line to meet it.

VPH-D
That sounds good. I'll add a slight sideways detour to remove some length. Is the flare the same angle as it's automotive counterpart?
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I'm not sure what angle the flare is, but I've used an Imperial flaring tool to shorten them.
The oil pump return line on my 51 has a combination of fittings to offset it outboard a little to use an unaltered line.
VPH-D

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”