Massive oil leak

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Garyson1311
Bikes: 1963 Pan FLH

Massive oil leak

Post by Garyson1311 »

Ok guys so I heard fresh topends and/or bikes that have been sitting for quite some time leak quite a bit but I dont know if this is right...

In my trials and tribulations of messing with my idle, I rode the bike around the block, came back, messed with the idle some more, and parked her in the garage. I came out that night and the bike had a small drop of oil on my garage floor but nothing serious.. The bike sat in my garage all day yesterday without being touched and last night I came into the garage to get some dogfood and to my dismay, I saw a HUGE slick of oil that look like it leaked from the primary cover or around that area. This was probably a half a cup of oil that came out... The bike isnt empty now or anything but it seems like an ungodly amount of oil that leaked out after the bike had not really been leaking too bad the day it was ridden and all of sudden this happens while the bike was sitting and then it seemed as if next to nothing is leaking today which is similar to how it was 2 days ago... Does this sound like a primary cover gasket problem? Anyone had problems like this before or heard of them? I certainly don't think its normal but does it have something to do with the bike sitting? Should I take the cover off and see if its full of oil? Its the original chain primary setup if that matters.

Thanks,
Gary
Garyson1311

Re: Massive oil leak

Post by Garyson1311 »

Also, now that I look at my driveway I can almost see a small trail of oil drops (maybe one every 5 feet) coming down my street and into my driveway.. I think something isnt right!
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

I'm sure you're aware but, the chain oiler adjuster on the oil pump may be out of adjustment, or the check ball seat may need to be burnished. Couple things to consider.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

If the bike has been sitting as you described/ Certain seals & gaskets will dry-up. When you started it up & warmed the motor/ the hot circulating oil will moisten the dry gaskets up. As someone mentioned your primary/chain oiler adj. might need tending to. Also I found that even just sitting 1yr. the cork-seals on the pushrod tubes will almost definitly leak for sure! Check these out real good-regardless just change them anyway! Dont fall prey to the rubber/silicone seals-they come in black or blue. Get the 12 cork ones that belong! Cork is better, they are thick & conform easily to any imperfections that may be there. Just start your motor-up & let it run for 20 min. Shut-off & looking from the lifter-blocks see if you spot a trail of oil-most-likely it will run along the base of the rear cyl. & down past the oilpump. Another place to check is the valvecovers- look carefully around the d-rings & cover & cyl. head. Usually you will see a wet-spot down either jug. Sometimes just a 1/4 turn on each cover bolt does the trick, after motor has been run & gaskets allowed to moisten/w oil. ( do not overtighten these bolts, as you will only strip-them in the heads or bend your valvecovers). After that I would check the primary-take the cover off & have a look. Check to see if the seals are bad/ or the inner needs tightening. Also this would be a goodtime to check tranny seal! ( If you have a manual, use it,& see where oil-flow is.) I could go on & on but what I told you to look for usually will find the culprit! Read other posts that pertain to your situation-there are alot of highly skilled men on this site that will answer ?s you may have. GOOD-LUCK hope I helped you out! 58flh
Garyson1311

Post by Garyson1311 »

Great stuff. Thanks for the info guys. I am going to take the primary off this weekend and see if I can figure this thing out. Looks like im gonna trailer it to the CHP inspection.. Oh well..
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Sound like your sumping. Tomas Cotton, where are thee?
Garyson1311

Post by Garyson1311 »

What is sumping and what is the fix for it?!?!!
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

Garyson1311 wrote:What is sumping and what is the fix for it?!?!!
From the archives...

https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/view ... f=5&t=5902
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

start it up for a couple of min. to return the oil from the crankcase. shutdown, then add oil as needed and ride it to your inspection!

sometimes a little chunk of crud will hold the check ball off the seat in the pump and flood the crankcase overnight. then it flows out of the breather creating the mess you experienced. usually no harm other than a mess. if the ball seat is bad cotten makes a nifty tool for burnishing the seat.

did you clean out your oil tank when you had it apart?

john :D
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

I sure hope yuo didnt just let it sit and run for 20 minutes ? nothing to do with the oil leak but not a good practice !
Garyson1311

Post by Garyson1311 »

Ok I read the article on sumping and that could be the culprit buy my question is this... I dont have any oil leaks from the tappet blocks, pushrod seals, or anything else OTHER than a massive flow after riding coming from the primary cover.. Does this still qualify as sumping possibly? Should I open the primary or try riding it some more and see if it calms down on the leakage?
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Gary:

Those primaries can be difficult to seal. The primary chain oiling system results in a pool of oil collecting in the primary. If there's a leak, then it all comes out when you park the bike. If the oil is leaking out at a rate much less than the oiler feed, then everytime you ride it long enough, you will "top up" that pool inside the primary. And when you park it, all the oil will leak out.

Do you have an oil leak detector kit? I.e. the ultraviolet light and the special goggles? Some kits also come with dye, but I've found a lot of oils these days glow under this light without having to add dye. If you do, then wipe the bottom of the primary (inner and outer), check it with the light to make sure it's clean and then run the engine for a few minutes. If the primary is leaking, you should see a spot that is glowing indicating a leak. IF that's the case, then a new gasket should fix it up. Remember to check the flanges of the inner and outer primary - try to get them as flat as you can. IF not, expand your clean up operation and start looking at other places for a leak.

Could it be coming from your tranny?

steve
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

Not leaking at the pushrods is a good thing.... Pull the check ball and inspect it and the seat for damage and/or wear along with the spring... Some people have been known to fix it by stretching the spring along with using a second ball on top of the other and gently tapping with a small hammer to dress the seat then removing the additional ball. There are tools made specificly for the job if you're uncomfortable trying the "backyard" fix. Still sounds like a sumping issue to me.
Garyson1311

Post by Garyson1311 »

Great info guys and thanks again.

I havent open the primary yet or messed with the oil pump or the ball because I wanted to get the feedback from you panhead masters and make a plan. I opened the horseshoe shaped oil tank and checked for any obvious problems but I didnt clean it out because I added oil (2.5 quarts so possibly ALOT of sump happened?!) and wanted to get the bike started and warmed up so I can change the fluids (mistake?) I have been reading online about oil sumping after a bike has been sitting for a while and some people online are saying it can be something as simple as the sumped oil needing to leak out of the bike when its finally started because the oil in question needs to go somewhere? (Which would explain the trail of oil on my street from me riding it!) Could it be something as easy as this? Should I ride it a bit to see if the leakage stops and the fix is as easy as that before I open up the primary and attempt to diagnose another problem?

thanks guys,
Gary
Garyson1311

Post by Garyson1311 »

I dont have the UV Kit :) and a burnisher sounds interesting and is something I bet I will need either now or at some point.. I will PM Mr Cotten.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”