1965 want to delete primary oiler

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
thunderbolt500
Inactive member
Bikes: 1965 Pan Head FLH & 1986 SposterXLH

1965 want to delete primary oiler

Post by thunderbolt500 »

i have changed my 1965 pan head back to a primary chain set up an want to delete the primary chain oiler can i run oil in the primary case if so what kind an how much an can i also block off the primary vent
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: 1965 want to delete primary oiler

Post by Bosheff »

Yes you can. ATF or 10W30 can be used for lube. Use only enough to do the job as you don't want the clutches to bath in the lube. Put in enough lube for the chain run through, 1/2 qt or less if memory serves me correctly. You must also vent the chain case....bosheff
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Re: 1965 want to delete primary oiler

Post by drinner-okc »

I did this in the mid 70's. I did not want the oil recycled with possible steel from the chain & sprockets, or clutch lining dust. I changed to a thin support bearing and separate seal on the trans main shaft, and use a very thin amount of silicone where the primary mounts to the engine case. I pressed the oiler out & pointed the feed tube down & run about 4" of 1/8" ID hose to vent the primary below the frame rails. I use rubber on steel washers on the mounting bolts & studs on the trans. I run Beck plates designed for wet/dry use.
I run about 20 oz (now I use primary oil, for years Type-F ATF) oil.
The only caution: the first ride of the year, start the bike & let it run engaging & releasing the clutch several times to allow oil to coat the linings, cause if you dont, when you put it in gear...you're leaving.
I change the fluid every season, never have to adjust the primary chain and the last time I changed the tranny sprocket I could not believe how clean it was inside.
You need thread sealant on the inspection screws or the oil will wick up the threads and past the tapers.
I recommend it. (edit--spelling)

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”