filter question

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: filter question

Post by PanPal »

I have a spin on oil filter set up for my 50 pan. If I buy the modern filter off Harley shelves, which way should the oil flow? In the center and out the outer holes, or in the outer hole and out the center? I'm trying to attach the hoses.
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

On 99% of filters oil comes in the little holes and out the center large hole.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Gotnoclass wrote:On 99% of filters oil comes in the little holes and out the center large hole.
Are you sure about that? I was thinking the oil is under pressure to the center hole, then forced through the pleated paper inside the filter. All the filters I've dissected have had small particles trapped on the inside of the pleats.
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

Oil comes in the little holes, gets filtered through the media, and flows out the large hole. See attached diagram
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Yep, I guess you're sure about that. :D
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately I called a guy before you guys replied and he was sure it fed through the center and out the small holes. I found a similar flow diagram online before I asked. The one pictured looks to have the check valve for the small holes being the orange seal and the bypass being the spring assembly at the top. I believe car and motorcycle filters are not made the same. It makes sense for the oil to flow in the small holes because there is more exposed surface area to keep it from clogging. I have a old sportster oil filter that I can cut open and see how it works inside. I'll report back afterwards.
jbuliwyf
Bikes: 60 FL
02FLHTPI
04FLHRI
12FLTRU
13FLHTP

Post by jbuliwyf »

If you are going to run a modern filter, get one for an evo. The twin cam filter will be hard to pass oil through with the panhead oil pump. Twin cam filters have red inside the little holes.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Like I said earlier - every filter I have dissected to check for debris, the debris has been between the pleats on the inside. This confirms that the oil flow is in the large center hole and out the small holes.
But I'm never really sure of anything. ;)
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

The filter I cut apart was a mid 90's sportster filter. The flow appears to go in the small holes. There is a bypass setup inside the pleated filter. If the filter gets clogged it would push up the spring assembly from pressure going into the small holes and allow oil to bypass the filter directly into the large center hole and return to the oil tank. There is no check valve circuit that I could see. It appears in Ran's picture, that the orange looking ring would act as a check valve. So I'm guessing the filter pictured may be the twin cam set up filter. The check valve would be nice for my set up. I have long oil lines. My oil tank is now mounted in front of my gas tank on this bike. I am running a S&S oil pump for now, but will eventually go back to the original oil pump. So from what you guys have said I would like a Evo style filter, preferably with a check valve and I guess Evo must has a bigger micron filter Than a twin Cam.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

The filter I dissected was a drop-in shovel filter. Frankly, it's been so long ago, I can't continue in the discussion, I'm just not sure any more about the flow.
I do know that the TC filter catches much finer particles than Evo. I have to be careful when purchasing filters for my Evo that I get the right one.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”