Too much filter???

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Too much filter???

Post by Panshovevo »

I'm working on my Shovel again, but figure this question applies to '65 Pans as well. I have the square oil tank that

originally had the canister filter under the top lid. The filter was removed at some point in the past, and replaced with the

FXST type bracket that bolts behind the jiffy stand and mounts a spin on filter.

I changed the oil after a test ride on Sunday, and noticed that the filter was leaking a bit, and was removable by hand.

When I attempted to torque ( to minimum value) the new filter on, the center fitting pulled out of the bracket. It had been

poorly oven brazed, and apparently was ready to fail before I put a wrench on it. I could possibly have tigged it back

together, but it was chromed, and even if I was able to weld it securely, it would have been ugly, and possibly warped or crooked.

I paid a visit to my local Pan/Shovel guru, Big Foot, and picked up a used filter bracket that looks to be better quality than

the old one. He also showed me the disposable cartridge that replaces the in-tank canister, so I bought both. He was

suffering from a cold picked up in Daytona (on the orange/flat black flathead I posted in the rat bike thread recently),and

it was late in the day, so I didn't bother him with the following question.

My question is can anyone think of any reason not to run both the external spin on filter AND the internal cartridge?

I'll be running a low restriction K&P stainless mesh reusable filter with a billet cooler housing on the outside.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
John
Wayne Mc
Bikes: 1968FLH
1988 FLHT
1968 FLH

Re: Too much filter???

Post by Wayne Mc »

HI John,
The KP oil remote filter with an in-the-tank filter is likely overkill.
However that being said the oil filters that go in the tank pretty much suck anyway so I would stay with the KP filter if you are not building a 100 pointer bike. The in-the-tank filter won't tax the return side of the oil pump as its a drip style filter only.

Cheers
Wayne
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

Wayne Mc wrote:HI John,
The KP oil remote filter with an in-the-tank filter is likely overkill.
However that being said the oil filters that go in the tank pretty much suck anyway so I would stay with the KP filter if you are not building a 100 pointer bike. The in-the-tank filter won't tax the return side of the oil pump as its a drip style filter only.

Cheers
Wayne
If this Shovel was rated on a scale of 100 for anything other than rat bike status, it would be at the bottom. There is a picture on the second page of the rat bike thread that flatters it considerably.
I have spent a good deal of time cleaning and polishing, and found that there is more shiny stuff under the rust than I thought, but for the time being at least, it's just going to be a back up bike, so I'm not worrying too much about appearance.

Can you explain what you mean by drip style filter?

Regards,
John
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

John!

It is harder to get the oil back out of a motor than to get it in.
Adding resistance on the return is not a good thing.

The biggest strike against the extra external filter, other than redundancy itself, (and flat-out cluttering ugliness to some of us!),... you have already pointed out: more things to break.

....Cotten

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”