chain oiler

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
jank1331
Bikes: 1958 FLH

chain oiler

Post by jank1331 »

I have a 58 pan with a belt drive primary that has the chain oiler turned off via the oil pump. Not only can I hear air moving out when trying to kick it, The oiler is lose. I can spin it with my hand. I cant seem to find any diagram in any of my manuals as to how you remove and or replace. I think there is a tapped shaft that it screws into but not sure. I would like to replace it but I need to know how it is set up before I go yanking things out. Any info would be great.

Steve
panbagger
Bikes: 52 panhead

Re: chain oiler

Post by panbagger »

you are hearing air, because this is also the breather for the crank case venting. I changed mine around,because i also have a belt drive.I actually blocked mine and revented it else where. I can show you if you want to know. Scott
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

it also doubles as a case bolt. that is why it probably spins.

john
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Be carefull if you try to tighten the case bolt nut on the right side of the motor, too tight will draw the bolt thru the breather fitting if the plug weld is shallow, then you'll have to remove the inner primary to replace it after you re-weld it, ask me how I know...Mike
panbagger
Bikes: 52 panhead

Post by panbagger »

I had a round plate made for mine, with a tapped hole in the middle to block it off the chain oilier. But know your wondering how I vented it. There is a welsh plug in the back of the motor tied in that same passage way that feeds the chain oilier and is also the breather. I popped it out and tapped it put a fitting in it and put a breather on it. no more chain oilier and the case can breath. That's how I did it. Scott
jank1331
Bikes: 1958 FLH

Post by jank1331 »

Thanks for the replies. I am going to make a fitting for the breather and re-route it. Thanks again.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”