Oil LIne Threads

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
58bob
Bikes: 56 Pan Bobber
2008 Ducati Monster S4r

Oil LIne Threads

Post by 58bob »

Can anyone tell me what the thread is on the nuts that screw onto the nipples on the oil tank, '57 pan that is. I guess its the same for the nipples on the tank too. And also, has anyone used a set of pre-made braided flexible oil lines?
Seen a set in a '06 CCI cat. but they don't do them anymore, thanks.
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Re: Oil LIne Threads

Post by NightShift »

Dear 58Bob,
They look like 9/16-24. We all used those braided lines back in the day until one of the wires would stick you in the finger.

R'spectfully,
fxe76
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by fxe76 »

As I recall, those threads are not SAE standard -- They are standard PIPE threads that should be available at any hardware store
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

They are standard PIPE threads that should be available at any hardware store
May be the hole without the fitting in it, but the flare end is odd and not easily found locally.
Last edited by PanPal on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Gambling on a failing memory,

The drainplugs on Pan 'horseshoe' tanks is 5/8"-18tpi, which is an SAE straight thread, however there were no tapered pipe threads used until the '65 'box' tank, for the breather hose nipple. (Earlier police tanks may used them too, however I am not familiar.)

The caps are 1 1/4"-20tpi, which is not common either!

The male compression fittings permanently attached to the tank for feed, return, and breather lines were 9/16"-24tpi, as previously noted.

....Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

NightShift wrote:Dear 58Bob,
They look like 9/16-24. We all used those braided lines back in the day until one of the wires would stick you in the finger.

R'spectfully,
And they draw blood , quick.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

58bob wrote:Can anyone tell me what the thread is on the nuts that screw onto the nipples on the oil tank, '57 pan that is. I guess its the same for the nipples on the tank too. And also, has anyone used a set of pre-made braided flexible oil lines?
Seen a set in a '06 CCI cat. but they don't do them anymore, thanks.
I have a set on one of mine that have the fittings with the tubing & S/S flexable line in between. They came on the bike when I got it & that was a long time ago & don't know who made them. There has to be a photo of them here some where. I'll look.

Well , I guess not . I will get one for ya. I got a million of them !LOL
58bob
Bikes: 56 Pan Bobber
2008 Ducati Monster S4r

Post by 58bob »

Thanks for the reply guys. What I have is a rigid frame but I want the oil filter canister in the same place as a swing arm model, ie behind the rear cylinder. This has created all sorts of dramas as the combination of repop oil lines dont fit exactly, and I'm using an S&S pump as well. So, much bending and flaring later I sort of have a kit to fit. Trouble is the flare, although its 37deg, looks different than the flare on the repop lines, they have more of a belled shape with quite a nice radius at the base of the flare whereas the ones I have had made up have a distinct sharp angle at this point, so when you tighten them up onto the 2 nipples on the oil tank (vent & return) they will not seat, these tank nipples have a very short flare, whereas the nipples supplied with the pump are much longer and are no problem........a bit wordy this but hope you get the picture.....I obviously have nothing better to do on new years eve.....but I do have drinks in the fridge!
Cotton, which fitting are you referring to thats 1 1/4 -20, is it the filler neck on the oil tank? Just consulted my Machinerys handbook and thats a UN thread, doesn't say course or fine, whereas the other one, 9/16-24 is UNEF, extra fine i would think. Thanks for the info guys, have a great new year.
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

A few years ago I bought a set of steel lines. I think they were packaged by Midwest?? Anyway they did not fit correctly. I believe they had 45 deg tapers like SAE flares. I could not find any hose and fittings in the OKC area that matched the HD fittings.
Doug

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”