65 outside oilers

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
FlatSideShovel
Inactive member
Bikes: 1967 FLH, 1965 FLH

65 outside oilers

Post by FlatSideShovel »

I have a 65 that has a Shovel conversion that I am putting back to origional. I have a question about the 63-65 outside oilers, I have seen the oil line attached to a fitting that is on top of the case between the lifter housings and I have seen the line attached to the fitting behind the rear exhaust pushrod, the sane as a shovel. Which is correct and if both are is it a date or production number change??? Thanks.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 65 outside oilers

Post by RUBONE »

The "Y" oil line to the heads only EVER connected to the fitting in the middle, above the large screw in the top center of the cam cover. Any other connections are on non-standard lower ends such as pre '63.
Robbie
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Here is the pic of correct location for overhead oil supply on 64.
ovh oiler1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlatSideShovel
Inactive member

Post by FlatSideShovel »

Thanks for the reply Robbie but the point is I have a 65 which does NOT have the fitting between the lifter blocks and also does NOT have the large bolt in the cam cover. So what's up? Thanks.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

If your case does not have the fitting or the large screw in the cam cover you do NOT have a '65 right case. There are no exceptions. You may have a Shovel engine with a '65 left case. Or something else entirely. What are your belly numbers?
Robbie
FlatSideShovel
Inactive member

Post by FlatSideShovel »

Robbie, the belly numbers match, 169-8037, as do the other stampings numbers on the cases. So now what replacement cases?? Thanks, Harry
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Sorry Harry, but you have a '69 engine stamped as a '65. I don't know what to suggest. Replacement cases will not match originals (and I have never seen replacements for a '65) plus they would not be stamped with your number. The best bet if you really want a '65 is to try and find a '65 engine or at least matching stamped cases with title. Not an easy thing to do.
Like i said, not sure what to suggest. You may have a dealer swapped engine, an old police unit, who knows why it is the way it is, but it is not correct.
Good luck
Robbie
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Quote: ‘the belly numbers match, 169-8037, as do the other stampings numbers on the cases.’

Harry, I'm not sure what you mean by: ‘... as do the other stampings numbers on the cases.’ It sounds like you mean there are other numbers on the cases that match? Do you mean the sequential portion of the serial number matches the sequential portions of the belly numbers? Or are there other numbers somewhere? If so, what are they?

And can you please post a photo of the belly numbers. Eric
FlatSideShovel
Inactive member

Post by FlatSideShovel »

After doing some more disassembly and checking I have found that I have a 69 shovel that somehow got a 65 pan vin stamped on the case, and yes I have the title for the 65 pan. Thats what you get for buying a bike sight unseen. So what I need is 69 shovel case with a title so I can get it back together and I need a 65 pan which does not have a title(or engine cases), If anyone out there can help me with either please let me know here or pm me. Thanks, Harry

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”