No oil at tappet screen??

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

No oil at tappet screen??

Post by Eric S »

I was riding this evening and seem to have developed a knock. I hear this the most when the throttle is closed and in higher gears coasting down hills in the mid rpm range. This my first Pan and I am not familiar with what might be considered normal sounds. It is a rythmic sort of knocking for lack of a better word. After I returned home it sat for about 10 minutes and I restarted it but it kicked different than normal almost like some thing was loose or broken. I now have an oil light on at normal idle that I did not have in the past and there is no oil in the tappet screen or its bore. I kicked it over with the screen removed and it shot oil out of the cavity but the screen after I had been running was nearly dry. I checked the tank and it seemed to have oil returning as the oil was hot and it seem to have pressure returning to the tank. It has a repo oil switch that has had a slight leak from the get go. Thanks!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: No oil at tappet screen??

Post by Cotten »

Eric!

I think everyone is speechless with horror.

We are here for you good buddy.

.....Cotten
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Thanks Cotten! This bike should be a lesson to me and others for buying projects from internet auction sites unseen. I think that the knock is in the lower end. It is not that noticeable with the engine at idle. But at a steady 1500-2000 rpm it has the sound of a helicopter and can be heard from the curb when riding by. :shock: Perhaps is payback time for me for making fun of the local stick- on tattoo friday night look I got me a Harley group.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Eric!

If you are running hydraulics,
Let us hope one locked up,
And nothing more.

....Cotten
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Eric,
The last time I heard a loud distinct knock from the bottom end, and I thought it was going grenade, turned out my sprocket nut had spun loose and allowed the front sproket to wobble on the motor sprocket shaft. Looked in your primary yet? Check the easy stuff first.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Thank you for the help! I pulled the primary cover today and the sprocket nut is still tight. I am considering putting this engine up and buying one of the aftermarket ones as this 59 is my rider. I use to own a WLA and would like to build a rigid handshift pan and that would give me an extra engine and down the road I could have a pro rebuild this one. I have stock single exhaust and my dad could hear the knock as I rode by his driveway. It still runs smooth just has that knock and oil light on hot at normal idle. Eric
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

I believe after I checked the hydraulic lifters I would pull the gearcase cover and have a look at the oil pump,tappet rollers etc.If I didnt find anything I would pull the front cylinder and see how the rods felt.Good luck.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”