Oil pressure adjustment

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Oil pressure adjustment

Post by doc308 »

No matter what I do, I can't stop a signifcant leak from the front lifter block on my'48 panhead. I've switched out blocks ( using both later model , aftermarket blocks and going back to the original aluminum block), and tried new and old cork seals ( I even tried a spacer under the seal to make for a tighter fit). I also drilled out the oil passages on the aftermarket block, with no improvement. I have aftermarket pushrod covers , but the bases look flat and seem to seat fine, but I'm still looking for OEM ones just in case. The oil is seeping from under the pushrod cover/cork seal contact --not from the base gasket.

Q--one guy suggested that maybe the oil pressure is too high in the engne and that, with the early oil pumps, there is an adjustment within the horizontal housing which contains a check valve and spring. If so, how do I adjust the pressure--by turning the adjuster in/out for increased/decreased pressure? Is there a screw inside--if so, what type of head. In looking at a diagram of the pump, it seems like an odd -looking head. I question wheher this is the issue, because this is only only significant leak on the motor. The rear block doesn't leak at all. Help!
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Oil pressure adjustment

Post by mbskeam »

have you tried moving the pushrod tube to see if the leak follows?

cracked at the lip/bend?
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

I always stretch the springs out for more pressure and I use grease on the corks.

'Spectful,
doc308
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

Thanks for he replies. The covers are on very tight--I even placed a crush washers in the block under the cork seals to increase the tension. It's so tight that I can barely get the clips on. But they are on and are tight.

I'm starting to worry about a possible oil problem. I need to correct myself about the oil leaks. I had the bike running for about 45 minutes today and I do now have leaks at the front cylinder base gasket, front head gasket ( note--front only, same as the lifter block) and I noticed some light oil seapage at one of the top srews holding on the timing cover. Could there be an oil pressure /backup problem? What and where do I need to check this out?

Note--this bike was only started w/i the last 3 weeks after lying dormant for years. What I did was had the cylinders honed, new pistons , rings, valve job, and modified the rocker caps ( cut oil channels and drilled for better oil flow), new lifter blocks and lifters. The lower end was inspected by a good mechanic and deemed to be in good shape. I throughly cleaned out the oil lines as well before assembly. So--what about this oil situation? I'm ready to ride once this problem is fixed and , at this point, I'm racing with the snow!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Is there a possibility that the crankcase breather is blocked? If the breather can't release crankcase pressure oil will try to come out everywhere, and the pushrod tubes are the easiest path.
Robbie
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

doc,

anything unusual going on in your oil tank?

do you have return oil flowing when it is running?

john
doc308
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

How would I check and clear out the crankcase breather? Re: the oil tank, I have a side- fill tank and it's a bit hard to see the return lines action. However, I can feel the air/ oil returning by sticking my finger in the there.

The odd thing about this is that all of the leaks are from the front cylinder and tappet block. The rear head gasket and tappet block don't leak at all. With a general blockage somewhere wouldn't one expect to see leakage everywhere--ie, not just restricted to one cylinder or block?

Another Q--I did have problems with my front head gasket earlier and a shop ground down the cylinder spigot so that the head gasket surface met flush withe the cylinder surface. Maybe they didn't machine it down enough , causing a continued leak. IF this were the case, would it also cause the respective tappet block to leak? Or--would those 2 things be independent?

Any experts out there, please feel free to pitch in!
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

I have a side- fill tank and it's a bit hard to see the return lines action.
remove the return line and run it into a bucket and report back on the quantity/quality of the flow with the bike running on a high idle.

john
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

You can also just use a longer return hose & let it dump into your oil tank fill hole. That way you can start her up & then pull the hose out a little to see how its returning at various engine RPM's .

A blocked breather will cause oil leaks as was already said & it doesn't have to be in the cam chest.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

You mentioned your head gasket. If the gasket is blown between the edge of the bore and the oil return hole compression will pressurize the cases and not in time with the breather timing. The pressure could go up the hole into the head and that in turn can pressurize the pushrod tubes on that cylinder.
Robbie

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”